cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 and Cisco L3 Switch (3750x)

alexten1983
Level 1
Level 1

How would you guys set it up? As far as what would you make a default gateway the rv340 or the L3 switch? Keeping in mind that you have more than few vlans and a ssl vpn and on vpn you want to be able to see all the vlans. 

8 Replies 8

alexten1983
Level 1
Level 1
Ok, I think I would go with setting Up the L3 as the default gateway. But how do you think I should set up the RV340 in a trunk mode and add all the vlans to it? Or add only native vlans and add a static route for all the other vlans? Or create a new ip and set it up as switch port and add all the other vlans as a static route?

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

I use a RV340 with a Cisco SG-300-28 layer 3 switch.  I use the switch in layer 3 mode.  Default gateway is a layer 2 concept so I use default route instead of default gateway.  So I would point a default route to the RV340 router using an access port.

do you have multiple vlans?

Yes I have 4 VLANs.  One VLAN I call the router VLAN only has the router connecting port with a 30 bit mask.

It really does no make sense to run 1 VLAN as you might as well just do layer 2 switching.

and how do you have a link set up between router and a switch? As trunk?

@alexten1983 wrote:
and how do you have a link set up between router and a switch? As trunk?

As I stated above you need to use an Access port and route between the layer 3 switch and the router.  Using a trunk port is just passing data at layer 2.  

Would you be able to show a small sample on your router side. Like a snap
shot of your lan, vlan config and routing. And a port config on switch and
routing or if you cant can you point to a good rafarance. Thank you!

Why are you making this so hard.  Just put an IP on the router and probably turn off DHCP.  Then you need a matching IP on the switch.  Your default route on the switch needs to point to the router and the router needs to have routing statements to point to the switch for all the non-connecting networks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: