cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 Antivirus Significantly Slows Download Speed

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So after some trouble shooting of slower than anticipated Download speeds with the RV340 (latest firmware - 1.0.03.18) I am finding that when IPS is enabled, the throughput is not negatively affected (as expected and as depicted in the chart on the "configuring Antivirus on the RV340" page, however when I enable antivirus I see the download speeds drop from 946Mbps down to around 150Mbps down.  Upload (which is limited to 30Mbps up from my ISP) does not seem affected.  

This is after a reset to factory default settings.  Is this a limitation of the antivirus processing on the RV340?  I have 1Gbps service and the downloads have been stable at around 920 to 950Mbps since.  

I appreciate any assistance in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Jason,

Please contact our technical support team directly by phone or use the online web page to open up a tech support case:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

or

https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/case

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

Hello,

The beta release is yet not available for public. Most probably this fix will be included in the next firmware release but for now please open a case with the STAC and they will be able to provide the firmware.

Regards,
Martin

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?  Having gone back 30 pages on the forum, the only similar thread I see related to high CPU usage which seems to have ben fixed in a previous firmware release.  This does not appear to be that.  

Hello, 

Please first upgrade to the latest 1.0.03.20. Do you have the latest antivirus signatures (Virus Database) on the RV? Your HTTP traffic should not be affected when enabling the anti-virus. Try to enable/disable one by one the protocols (applications to scan) and see if any of the services impact the throughput when enabled. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/Configuring_Antivirus_on_the_RV34x_Series_Router.html#_Configuring_Antivirus 

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin, thank you for answering the thread.  Yes I am on firmware 1.0.03.20 and I also have the latest AV files loaded file 2.5.0.1072 as of 4 Oct, 2020.  I have stable internet speeds with IPS "ON" at all settings including up to "Security" setting - no changes as one would expect.  As soon as I enable AV to "ON" I drop to approx. 100Mbps download regardless of settings.

AV Off.JPGAV On.JPG

Very much looking forward to your input and assistance.  Thanks in advance - Jason

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So over a week and no input.  Is this normal?  I have also sent a couple of emails to tech support but they have also gone unanswered.  

Frustrating ..........

Hello Jason,

If you have the case number please share so we can elaborate on this matter with the technical support team. I don't see you have enabled all protocols when AV is on. Please enable them all and don't enable "Enable Filesize Threshold". When this is done, save, apply the config and check if there is a spike on the CPU utilization. Also, issue a ping from your LAN to a public IP address like Google DNS with IP address 8.8.8.8 and see what is the ttl value.

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin, yes I have enabled the protocols just to ensure that this was not a factor and there is no difference in download speeds.  TTL on a ping to 8.8.8.8 = 116 from a CMD prompt and 117 from within the router Diagnostic section with AV OFF, and the same with AV ON.  With respect to CPU usage, when doing a speed test with AV OFF I see a COU usage of 6% and memory usage of 37% - with AV On I see CPU @ 17% and Memory @ 37%.  During the Ping to 8.8.8.8 the Memory Usage stays at 37% and the CPU usage is between 1 and 3 % for both AV on and off.

I do not have a case number - I have not been successful in getting a response from tech support .........

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So, still having the same issue with previous and current firmware.  Any suggestions?  Over 2 months and no input and nothing from tech support ........

Hello Jason,

Please contact our technical support team directly by phone or use the online web page to open up a tech support case:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

or

https://mycase.cloudapps.cisco.com/case

Regards,

Martin

OnTheCatwalks
Level 1
Level 1

Was this resolved? I am having the same issue. 1Gbps connection going to 150Mbps with AV enabled. That is a big performance hit.

Hi,

Please raise a technical support case with TAC and share the case number so we can expedite the resolution.

Regards,

Martin

Hi - No unfortunately this is not yet resolved.  I have been unable to get a response to email inquiries.  I guess per Martin's suggestion I will give them a call.  Very frustrating.

Thanks! I'm guessing there is still no resolution and I have seen no software update.

I really don't see why it is on us to open a TAC case. Cisco employees have seen this on several threads. There is clearly an issue that TAC is not going to be able to solve. This is a software issue that the developers need to see. It is not the customers problem to chase down the software bug. We've told you of a problem Cisco, now find the resolution for us or start refunding 50% of our subscription fee. This is just crazy that Cisco is ignoring a huge flaw with their product and forcing us to do all the leg work. If there isn't a resolution offered soon I will not be renewing this product and the next firewall will not be a Cisco. 

@OnTheCatwalks 

@JasonReg416LGK 

Hello all,

There has been an issue with the software indeed. We have received a beta firmware with a fix so to get this release please open a support ticket with the TAC and they will provide this firmware to every customer who runs through this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin, yes I have the beta firmware loaded and it appears to have corrected the issue.  Will monitor for a bit and let folks know how things progress.  I am not getting full download speeds with both IPS and Antivirus enabled.  So far so good.