cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 DDNS Does Not Update - Status shows Error

Chet Prokop
Level 1
Level 1

We set up a RV340 with latest FW (1.0.01.16).  Since we're using dual wan we need to pay attention to the failover address and use dynamic DNS (DDNS) aliases to do so. 

When entering a DDNS FQDN, we found two problems:

1)  The DDNS entry "fails"  with "update = no"  and "status = error"   We set up separate DDNS FQDN's for each WAN1, 2--same result.  This was with an already valid entry in DynDNS--migrating from a working RV320. 

As a test, we entered a valid FQDN from the NoIP service... got the identical result.  

2)  The RV340 dos NOT allow you to use the same DDNS entry for both WAN's.  

With failover mode and on other RV routers (including the RV320) if you put the same DDNS entry in both WAN Dynamic DNS entries, the router updates that WAN variable on failover so you always have the correct static IP the router is using.  With the 340, it's does NOT let you do this and makes it impossible to use one FQDN to assign to other services... like SIP voice provider endpoints, external or remote SIP phones, or other device remote access using the DDNS variable.  

PLEASE FIX THIS.  Not sure how this is out there as it does not work at all.

Chet/Houston

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner
SMB - IT and Telecom Services
Houston, TX
7 Replies 7

raluani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Chet/Houston,

My name is Rozana and i am an engineer from the SMB team.

As far as i understand you experience issues when you try to use the same DDNS on both WANs.

You can not have 1 DDNS with 2 IP addresses and that is why it fails.
This is how it works per design - it is not a bug to be fixed.

Please make a second DDNS and this will resolve your DDNS issue.

If you still experience issues, or if you wish us to further troubleshoot this issue, you can call our support line and create a support ticket with us.

Regards.

Hi, Rozana.

I understand your reply. BUT I also know from using the RV's for a long time that they have always allowed to use the same DDNS FQDN in the WAN1 & WAN2 entries when in failover mode.

We have dozens of 320's using two providers at medical clinics where WAN2 is a failover circuit ... a T1 for instance... where we need that DDNS FQDN to assign to a SIP provider so they know the active static at the customer location... or to use within a PBX for external voice connections.  That's worked flawlessly for years.

Those services cannot use two separate FQDN's ... just one to update as the failover circuit and IP change.

Please consider this or give us a checkbox to all the update to occur on failover!  This is a very nice feature of the RV's of all models ... except now the 340.   

Thanks,
Chet.

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner
Houston, TX

Hi Chet,

Now i understood the issue better,
We need will look into this and run tests for both 320 and 340 series.

Having in mind that the RV340 is a new model, I think it's best to create a support ticket for that model, so we can research why it is behaving differently.

Could you please call our support line, so we can troubleshoot further?

Regards.

What number should I use?  We're a cert partner.

Happy to do so--we've used the full smb RV series at customers for years. The 320 has been the mainstay for small offices--now moving to 340's...   so any feedback we can provide to help make this a stable product would be great.

Thanks, Chet.

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner
Houston, TX

Hi Chet,

Please check all SBSC support numbers

Regards.

Hello Chet,

Were you ever able to figure out how to use the same DynDNS settings on both WANs on the RV340?  We're setting one up now and we want the DynDNS to continue to work if the router fails over onto WAN2.

Thanks,

I'm facing the same issue, I had a failover problem the other day, and realized I'd never gone back to "fix" this, since initial setup (it's a home network, but my server and a few other things are accessible).

I have one DynDNS replicating to the 2nd one, for now, but that's a pretty "hacky" solution, if you ask me, failover should cover this.

Obviously, it's tricky, with Dual-WAN, but it did work on previous models, not from my experience, but from my reading.  My ASUS home router (backup/previous) handles this just fine, with dual WAN.

My ASUS router also auto-configures my ISPs IPV6 tunnel broker setup, whereas the 340 fails pretty badly if I try to even add a prefix for the "IPV6 Transition" (i.e. tunnel broker or similar) to my VLAN.

I've reported a couple of issues, although it's tricky, if you don't have a business license and aren't registered (through the "Smart License"), to get an problem logged, as a home user.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: