cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 dnsmasq: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1

andyko
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased two RV340 routers. I've been getting this warning message in the logs:

dnsmasq: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 - local interface

Is this something I should be worried about?

28 Replies 28

jcwren
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not worried about it, but if you've configured the router to email logs, it's seriously annoying. I had to set turn off the 'Network' checkbox, but now I have NO idea what messages I might miss.

Firmware version 1.0.01.17 -- Don't know if this is a new issue, I just installed and upgraded the router today.

Hi, i have the same problem with rv340, firmware 1.0.01.18. Why they don't squash this bug?? It's very annoying to get several lines this warning in e-mail log: (<warning>dnsmasq: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 - local interface) 

Please fix it!

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

I see this also in the logs.  I am not sure what it means.  Something about a loop back with DNS.  Is it a real problem?

Any chance this is an DNS rebinding attack?

Hi, 

My name is Iliya Gatsev from Cisco Technical Support Team.

In case you are using latest firmware 

and after upgrade and reset to factory settings, this issue is still present, it will be good to call our support line and open a support case so we can track this issue.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco STAC Network Engineer
Together we are the human network .:|:.:|:. CISCO

1.0.1.18 upgrade(done) and reset to factory settings (done) and still I'm getting these warning lines (RV340 dnsmasq: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1).
I'dont know is this a real problem or security issue? I really do want to know!

@Iliya GatsevIs this being looked at?
This essentially invalidates the (only 4K) log buffer, because if you want to track any network tagged issues (this is a router...), it quickly fills the buffer (takes about 2-3 hours, for my config, about 96% full of JUST these errors).

Sure, I could set up a SysLog, or email alternate, but really this should get resolved properly, or provide a filter mechanism that's keyword-based, instead, so the log space isn't overflowing constantly?

Obviously this is more of a home-user issue, but even a SMB IT dept. doesn't want to wade through hundreds of thousands of bogus warnings, or store them, for that matter...

I also have this problem with RV340 - this makes syslog completely useless, as it is flooded with this error. Please fix ASAP 

Hi, I have the same problem with the RV260W, and I already have the lastest firmware ver. 1.0.00.15
Is annoying continue reciving this warning message,
any solution?

thanks!

viningele
Level 3
Level 3

I believe I had this same problem and a google search came up with an issue with buggy Samsung TVs on the network.  The fix was to create a dhcp reservation for the TV and give it a name.  I no linger see these errors.  Just gotta figure my firewall errors now.  

My router was also locking up before too and hasn’t since making this change.

I had the same issue and the router locked up very often and had to be rebooted. Cisco TAC advised me to upgrade the firmware to the latest version, 1.0.02.16, and then factory default the router.

I have completed the procedure and the error message has disappeared.

I was previously receiving the error message a few times every minute.

The router is now running for a about an hour and I have not seen any of the messages thus far.

Upgraded to latest fw. 1.0.02.16. I’m still getting same log messages, but not that frequently. So the reason for these log lines remains unresolved... 

And when i get the log e-mail it’s full of this very same log-line, doesn’t include any other information. 

I had done the factory reset many times, and again after this latest firmware upgrade. I have made static ip addresses for all of my devices in dhcp and named them. 

So, weird problem, that’s all i can say...

Tr3b0r,
I am now noticing logs referring to licensing and whenever I click on
"Licensing" on the menu, the GUI freezes and I have to close and restart
the browser to get access to the device.

I have an open ticket with Cisco TAC so I will notify them of my new
issues. I will post any new information that comes to hand.

@dharric123 Did you ever get a response, to your ticket?

To the Cisco employee, who responded some time ago, can you please update us?

I also get 2-3 hours of logs, before it overflows the 4k queue, making logging essentially "useless".

Can SOMEONE please at least get some type of response from a Cisco source (I'm using this as a home unit, and do not have an account, to open a ticket).

I'm no senior-IT guy, but I generally know my around most common networking, packet transitions, tagging, security models, that kind of things (I'm more of an OS guy from the device-side, and s/w, but my strengths lie in Graphics and Storage, and to a less extent, bus architecture, network devices are close to the end).

Even a way to exclude this specific warning, without disabling all warnings/network log lines, would be better than the current state.

Thanks, for anyone who can provide some update to this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: