cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 i can't change default certificate

Cimmerio
Level 1
Level 1

How do I replace the default certificate? I didn't found a way so far.

18 Replies 18

I'm not as familiar with certificate and openssl as I'd like. Since my certificate is a CA (LestEncrypt) wildcard cert (*.mydomain,com) do you think I can alter the one I have to include the IP? It's already sign by a CA. In the meantime, I think I'm overdue for an openssl crash course. Anyway, tx for your reply 

@chamel123 wrote:

I'm not as familiar with certificate and openssl as I'd like. Since my certificate is a CA (LestEncrypt) wildcard cert (*.mydomain,com) do you think I can alter the one I have to include the IP? It's already sign by a CA. In the meantime, I think I'm overdue for an openssl crash course. Anyway, tx for your reply 

You would need to get a new cert signed by the CA. There isn't a way to add the IP option to the cert you already have - it is added by the CA at the time of the cert being signed. It's added in the "Subject Alternative Name" field of the certificate, using the notation IP:w.x.y.z

Also, I don't necessarily recommend using LetsEncrypt for a device cert, simply because the certs from LetsEncrypt typically expire every 3 months, and there is no automatic way to have the Cisco device update it. You will have to manually request a new cert from LetsEncrypt, then manually log in to the Cisco device and upload it.

Dear @train_wreck ,

we were thinking of adding the Let'sEncrypt agent to the router. In addition to what you are saying I am not certain if it will fix the issue with the IP address versus domain name. I.e. I believe ( but are not sure ) that Let's Encrypt certifies servers which are reachable on the internet not really certs for internal use.

A nice solution to this problem would be to be able to define the redirected page with the FQDN. A CLI access to the router would probably permit the user to change this. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: