Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 LAN LAG Aggregation

Explorer11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using the RV340 router. I'm wondering if it works to use LAG1 with a dumb switch. What does LAG1 actually do? How does it aggregate the connection?

Thanks!

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LAG does not work with Dumb switch/Hub, it required LAG compatible Switch.,

LAG- Link AGreegation  - means  it combines the 2 X link to 1 = example 2X 1Gb link = 2GB Link

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What do you mean by "LAG compatible"? The RV340 uses "static" bonding, so I'm not aware of any protocol requirements like with LACP.

RV Model does not support LACP, it supports static(not dynamic) link aggregation with Trunk option with the neighbor device/Switch.

BB

Thanks. This is an area where the documentation could use improvement. It says almost nothing about this feature and it would be helpful to understand.

@balaji.bandi wrote:

RV Model does not support LACP, it supports static(not dynamic) link aggregation with Trunk option with the neighbor device/Switch.

So, to clarify, this is not a fallback solution (passive) but an "active" bond where the ports are added together in a trunk. Correct?

Depends on how you configure both side (RV with partner device)

BB

@balaji.bandi wrote:

Also, is it layer 2 (based on MAC addresses)? Layer 3? Both?

Thanks.

The question has not been answered.

Say on on RV345 with two ports in a trunk (so a static trunk) - what protocols control traffic?

In my case the RV345 connnects to a SG300.  So I can trunk two ports on the SG300 side and use a dynamic protocol (LACP).  How is the traffic managed in this situation? 

I am trying to maximize bandwith between the router and the switch.

as we mentioned above that time as I was reading docs, as per cisco :

The RV345 does only supports 'Static Link Aggregation' and not 'Dynamic Link Aggregation'.

This may have changed in recent days, not sure - please have a look below guides :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/products-user-guide-list.html

BB

Yes - but what does static actually mean when connected, to for example a
switch running LACP?

The link is rather pointless since it is just a list of more links and
nothing on-topic.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: