Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 One-to-One NAT Outbound Translated Public IP

Gary Roche
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction in regards to One-to-One NAT on the RV340.

To put simply I'm wondering if anyone with experience in using the RV340 can confirm where a block of public IP addresses is in use and assuming using One-to-One NAT is the only way to achieve this (correct me if I'm wrong), what is the outgoing public IP address translated to?

Is the outgoing private to public address translated as the WAN interface or the public IP address specified under the One-to-One NAT?

For example we have a block of public IP's all on the same subnet, we have multiple virtual webservers, we would like to assign a public IP to each webserver to avoid overlapping ports (dont want to use port redirection).  More importantly we want those webservers to present themselves on the web as their assigned public IP and not all default to that of the WAN interface of the RV340.

I have reached out to Cisco but never got a reply.

Hoping some can share their wisdom and experience.

Cheers,
G

6 Replies 6

Hi balaji.band<>,

Thanks for your response.

I'm comfortable enough with the configuration so I'm not looking for a how-to, but it's appreciated anyway.

So to be clear my question is not how do I configure One-to-One NAT, the focus is typically about inbound traffic from Public to Private for obvious reasons.

My question is what happens for the Outbound traffic, is it also translated from private to designated public IP from the associated block or does it's private address default to the translated WAN interface IP...?

Cheers,
G

yes you can bind the public IP to Private IP One to One

Take example :

you have multiple IP from ISP Example :

Public IP 1- 155.1.1.1  - Web server IP  10.10.10.1

Public IP 2- 155.1.1.2  - Web server IP  10.10.10.2

This is best practice, so you Servers are secured behind FW not to expose to some attacks.

Hope this what you looking for, if not please correct me if my understanding wrong.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks again for your response.

I'm afraid my question is still being misunderstood.

Your example and info relates to incoming traffic, from public translated to private.
I'm referring to traffic initiated and exiting the router, from private translated to public.

So to use your example except in reverse:

WAN Interface - 155.1.1.1

Incoming:
Public IP 1- 155.1.1.2 - Web server IP 10.10.10.2

Public IP 2- 155.1.1.3 - Web server IP 10.10.10.3

Here's the question...?

Outgoing

Web server IP 10.10.10.2 - Public IP 155.1.1.2

Or

Web server IP 10.10.10.2 - Public IP 155.1.1.1

Sure it works as you expected when you configure One to One NAT- both the ways( it is all how you setup)

Either traffic originating from server, or receiving from server.

Please refer above example document posted on other post. once you setup 1 example, you will understand by testing it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

My question is more of a pre sales question, I don't have a RV340 to test it on.
The answer to the question will dictate whether I purchase and use an RV340 for our deployment. While I could buy one and see, time is restricted so I'd like to get the install right first time around.

I read the document, the configuration is straight forward but I don't see any options for Advanced NAT rules which may be required to facilitate outgoing translation of private to public IP.

In my experience some routers require a specific configuration to achieve what I'm looking for and some don't. Cisco's SMB routers over the years are a perfect example, presumably due to their acquisition of Linksys and evolution over this short time.

When researching this I've found posts that state it does not translate private to the public IP specified in One-to-One NAT. Equally so I've also read posts of blocks of Public IP's not being supported on the RV340 which we know to be false.

For that reason I decided to ask the question in the hope that someone with field experience of using the RV340 could confirm what takes place.

Could you confirm are you saying that by configuring One-to-One NAT on the RV340 specifically that it translates the addresses both ways?

Could you confirm is this from experience or from reading documentation?

Many thanks again,
G
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: