cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 port forwarding

peter4
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process to retire an RV320 and replace it with an RV340. Before I do so I need to setup the same port forwarding on the new router. Unfortunately the interface changed and the Cisco video on https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb5818-configure-port-forwarding-port-triggering-nat-on-rv34x-serie.html 

gives the  wrong instructions.

In the Service Management table it used to be external port and internal port which changed on the RV340 to Start and End port. This is now to create a port range and not assign an external and internal port.

I assume this means that to accomplish what used to be one entry in the Service Management table giving the external port and internal port - I have to create now two entries?

One service for my external port and one service for my internal port? before I setup the port forwarding. Is this correct?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peter4,

Yes, you would need to have two services - one for your external port and one for your internal port. Have you tried this way?

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can combine in 1 Rule as shown in the video

external port to internal port like example - if some one access port 80 outside you can send to internally port 81

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

peter4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Thanks for the reply but unfortunately this is not the solution.

In your case it would at least let you save what you entered because it is part of a port range - this is also why the column header is start and end port.

In my case I have to port forward port 9200 to port 80 (just an example because I have to do this for 8 different ports).

Now tory to enter port 9200 in the start port and port 80 in the End port and you will see this does not work because you can't save it. 

Thank you very much for your help.

In my case I have to port forward port 9200 to port 80 (just an example because I have to do this for 8 different ports).

Not sure what you mean 8 different ports.

if you need 8 different port translation you need 8 ports to be added

example

Exernal 80 --Internal 82

Exernal 81 --Internal 83

so on

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

sorry for the misunderstanding.

I need to forward port 9200 to port 80. Port 9100 to port 554 and so on.

Your example would allow me to enter into the service management table because it is a port range (External 80 --Internal 82) and not external and internal ports. As I mentioned the RV340 service management table changed and now only shows start and End ports. 

So far I assume Cisco's answer is correct that I have to create two entries in the service management table. One for the external ports and one for the internal ports before creating the actual port forwarding rules.

I will update the reply after I installed the router at my client.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Just a heads up here, you can set the start and end port to be the same so basically, the range becomes a single port.

Thanks,

Martin

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peter4,

Yes, you would need to have two services - one for your external port and one for your internal port. Have you tried this way?

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

thank you for your reply. You just confirmed what I suspected what I have to do. I did not go onsite to the client because I need to have this setup before. I just hope this works.  I am surprised that Cisco has the wrong information online (please watch the video which is on the link I provided earlier). You can do this simple port forwarding with a cheap ISP provided router without any problems. The RV320 interface had the same Service Management table as the RV340 with the exception it really has an external port and internal port field instead of now just providing a port range.

Because of this change it doubles my service management entries for a simple task of port forwarding.

Any idea why Cisco made this process more complicated?

Thanks, 

Peter

Hi Martin,

yes, the port forwarding using separate services for external and internal ports worked. Again thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

You're welcome!

Regards,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: