cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 Restore configuration is confusing and only working with trick

chrissteffen
Level 1
Level 1

It took me several hours to find out how to restore a configuration on a second RV340 or a RV340 after reset to factory defaults and I don't know why it is so confusing and complicated.
When I restore the configuration from PC I receive a "Network_Error" after some seconds. The same happens when I restore it from USB1/2. This is obviously due to the fact that immediately after (correctly) restoring the configuration, the RV340 gets a new IP-address. The initial IP is 192.168.1.1 with DHCP server active. In the restored configuration the IP is 192.168.230.10 with DHCP server not active.
When I change my PC's IP to e.g. 192.168.230.100 (mask 255.255.255.0) I can afterwards access the RV340 with its new IP and save the running configuration to the startup configuration. But this is not obvious. The "Network_Error" made me think that something was wrong with the saved configuration file and I restored it several times with always the same result (and reset the router each time after the error message).
Why doesn't the RV340 ask the user if the running configuration should be saved to the startup configuration BEFORE it uses the restored configuration? In this case the user wouldn't get an error message and it would be clear that the RV340 afterwads has the new IP. Maybe another message would be usefull that the restored configuration becomes active immediately.

1 Reply 1

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, Chrisstefen,

I see your frustration and disappointment. It may become really tricky and unclear of why this behaviour happens. There might be some notification details on the backup/restore process with the RV that have been skipped or missed but that was not intentional. We will align with the respective team with Cisco and will require further investigation on this matter. Thank you for your feedback, it is really valuable for us.

Regards,

Martin