Replies

RV345 Bonjour (mDNS) Across VLANs

Alex001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RV345 router and have set up multiple VLANs

VLAN10 - wired computers

VLAN20 - wireless devices (laptops, phones, tablets)

VLAN30 - network printers

VLAN40 - media devices (AppleTV, Yamaha Receiver)

My computers and wireless devices on VLAN10 & 20 cannot find the printers or media devices on VLAN30 & 40.

If I put them all on the same VLAN, everything can be found and works.

I have enabled "Discovery-Bonjour" on all the VLANs but it doesn't help.

Looking on the internet I read that an mDNS repeater is needed.   I found this solution (https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/multicast-between-lan-and-wlan/td-p/3324447) that reads the Cisco "Service Discovery Gateway" feature needs to be enabled.  

I cannot find this "Service Discovery Gateway" feature on the RV345. Would anyone know if RV345 supports Bonjour mDNS across VLANs? 

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

Are the media devices and printers in vlan30 & vlan40 configured with their respective default-gw ipaddres of the rv340 lan-ipaddrs (of vlan30 and vlan40 respectively)????

Becos the protocol work of mDNS is to get the ipaddress of the remote service using multicast 224.0.0.251 i guess...and the remote service will reply using mDNS again with its ipaddress for the respective hostname queried...

So then once the hosts in vlan10/20 receive the info of the ipaddress of remote-service in vlan30/40 via the bonjour/mdns...next part of the communication would be using the ipaddress directly...and that would mean "routing" across the vlans....which would require default-gw to be configured on all the systems in their respective vlans

On checking on a RV345...i see that when bonjour is enabled on multiple vlans...say vlan30...i see that the RV345 is generating multicast packets to 224.0.0.251 the mDNS service querie...on that vlan30...so you should check whether the media-devices/printers are replying to the mulicast queries...if not...why?...if yes, is the replies using mDNS?....

- do a capture of all traffic on vlan30/40 using wireshark...and start connecting to the vlan30/40 devices from vlan/10/20....

- check in the wireshark capture what packets are coming into vlan30/40 from the RV345...and whats the replies (which will and should contain the mac-address of the RV340 vlan30/40 interfaces).....

In summary i dont think you will need to run any other services (cisco service gateway/etc) once you enable the Bonjour on each of the vlans...

- else cisco would have mentioned if any other external service-gateway was required...

BZ93213
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Alex,

Were you able to get this working?  I'm running into a similar issue and enabling Discovery-Bonjour on the needed VLANs hasn't worked.

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: