cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345 hangs when creating a new VLAN

sgreiner
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a new RV345 Saturday. After basic configuration, the router was working fine with just the default VLAN. So I updated the firmware to 1.0.03.15. It went OK. No errors. So now I go to create a new VLAN. After clicking the plus sign button and accepting the default info I click the apply button. After a few seconds, I am back on that screen and the red floppy disk "save" button is flashing. At this point it does not matter what I do. I can click that button to go to the save config screen, but it doesn't go there. The screen just hangs on the "Please Wait...The page is being loaded" screen. I let it sit for over an hour. I can try to enter the save configuration screen from the left side menu instead of clicking the red floppy disk button, the same thing. I can click any menu link and it does this. I am unable to do anything after I apply the changes and try to go anywhere else. I have to reboot to router in order to get back into it but the changes are lost. I have flashed it again, same result. Am I missing something? Perhaps some prerequisite before I even create a new VLAN. Do I need to assign this new VLAN to a port before I click the apply button. I know I have to do this to make it work but do I need to do it to just accept the creation of the VLAN?

10 Replies 10

Jim Lloyd
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this behavior with various web browsers and browser versions, on a number of routers and switches.  You might try another browser.  In some cases, I have had to either add/remove the device IP to/from the 'legacy devices' of Internet explorer. Clearing the browser cache is always worth a try.

Hope this helps! 

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please do a factory reset of the device using the reset button. ( power on and keep depressed for 20sec ). Make sure 1.0.03.15 is running. Then create a VLAN. There is no prerequisite.

There is an issue with VLANs when you upgrade from factory loaded sw to 1.0.03.15 straight. This will be rectified in newer sw.

Jo

@Jo Kern wrote:

Please do a factory reset of the device using the reset button. ( power on and keep depressed for 20sec ). Make sure 1.0.03.15 is running. Then create a VLAN. There is no prerequisite.

There is an issue with VLANs when you upgrade from factory loaded sw to 1.0.03.15 straight. This will be rectified in newer sw.

Jo

Hello. I have the same issue but my router is a RV340 (fw 1.0.03.15). I tried your solution and I could manage default VLAN and create/edit new ones. But I didn't know this was the only solution so far and I lost all the settings (wich are a lot), and bringing a backup also brings the discussed issue. I have a lot of settings already in place and I just need to change the router IP in order to smoothly replace an old router at a company. Any other suggestions? Do you know when will this be fixed?

Thank you.

Cesar.

Hello.

@sgreiner since it seems we may not get a solution any time soon, the only way I could achieve what I needed was to 'Download to PC' a backup of all settings, which creates a XML file. Then I edited such XML file and shaped it to my needs (as much as possible). Finally, I imported the modified XML file to router.

I did this a few weeks ago and no issues so far.

Regards.

Cesar.

When you create new VLAN, as example VLAN2 with:

192.168.2.1/24

Mask 255.255.255.0

DHCP disable

Device mamagment check box must be enabled.

RV_VLAN.PNG

after this press "Apply" and lose connection. Right?

Now you need connect PC direct to LAN port and change PC ip adress to:

ip: 192.168.2.100

mask: 255.255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

And reconnect to router with new router IP: 192.168.2.1

After connect you need to save settings in running config

Resetting the router and then creating the VLAN did work but the issue is when I restore my configuration file and then create the VLAN (again after the previous test one) the problem returns.

How can I restore my backup then create the VLAN? Can someone send what would be needed to add VLAN 10 to the XML file?

@derrickh wrote:

Resetting the router and then creating the VLAN did work but the issue is when I restore my configuration file and then create the VLAN (again after the previous test one) the problem returns.

How can I restore my backup then create the VLAN? Can someone send what would be needed to add VLAN 10 to the XML file?

Hi @derrickh, I'm guessing we have a similar problem so please try this:

- Open the XML backup file you need to restore and find 'vlan-interface-settings'

- Then find '<vlan-id>X</vlan-id>' where 'X' is current VLAN ID saved in that file.

- Change that 'X' value to '10' if that is what you need to do.

But if what you need to do is to add a second VLAN, try this:

- Reset the router

- Create 2 VLANs according to your needs.

- Make a backup XML file, open it to find 'vlan-interface-settings' and see how the router saved those 2 VLANs setting.

- Try to adapt what you find to the XML backup file you need to restore.

Hope this works for you, and Cisco give us a proper solution at some point this year (please?)

Let me know how you managed.

Regards,

Thanks for your help but I wasn't able to edit the XML file properly.  There were a few different areas to edit and in the end, the router didn't take the file. I'm sure I must have missed something or made an error.

I did speak with Cisco support about this and really the only way to properly take care of this (at this point) is to reset the router, add the VLAN, then reprogram the router again.

A real pain for sure, but I really know my way around the interface :)

Oh, no worries. It's alright, we all have different settings and requirements. Hope Cisco give us a proper fix anytime soon.

Best of luck.

I was just about to start to reprogram the router from the ground-up after defaulting and creating the VLAN first but decided to see if a new firmware was released and believe it or not yes! Just today!

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Release_Note/RV34xx_relnote_v1_0_03_16.pdf

It does appear to have fixed the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: