Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345-K8 and uk use

Ste91
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here so go easy:)

I would like to know If there is any other limitations on using a k8 unit here in the UK other than having the less secure des encryption?

Thanks in advance,

Ste

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Ste,

Please disregard my last message. It is the other way around. 

There were two K8 releases in the past, however, there were no maintenance requests after that. Basically, you can upgrade the K8 firmware to any general K9 release and this is not officially rejected in the platform itself. It up to the customer to whether apply for permit K9 from local regulatory authority (in the case with Russia). So, actually yes the platforms are the same other than the power supplies/cables that match a specific country.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally, i do not see any issue, as long as the device meets your requirement of security and personal use.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your reply Balaji, that helps me:) One more question - I know with the ASA's, it is possible to change the image from k8 to k9, do you know if it is to possible to do something simlar on these SMB units and change the firmware to k9?

Enterprise switches and ASA - i never installed any K8 - i have used most of the time K9 images, never seen also (may be i have ignored it may be there).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ste91
Level 1
Level 1

@Martin Aleksandrov 

Forgive me Martin if I'm wrong! Are you saying then even though normally k8/k9 relates to encryption, all the RV345 units in general actually don't use encryption and so in this case the RV345-K8-RU is essentially the same as the K9 units sold here in the uk, other than the difference in power cables included?

Hello Ste,

Please disregard my last message. It is the other way around. 

There were two K8 releases in the past, however, there were no maintenance requests after that. Basically, you can upgrade the K8 firmware to any general K9 release and this is not officially rejected in the platform itself. It up to the customer to whether apply for permit K9 from local regulatory authority (in the case with Russia). So, actually yes the platforms are the same other than the power supplies/cables that match a specific country.

Regards,

Martin