Views
Helpful
Replies

rv345 multi wan

sam_cds_cds
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are using WAN1 and WAN2, separate ISP connections.  I've enclosed a jpeg of the configuration of the MultiWan.

We had a failure of WAN2 yesterday, but not a full failure.  The speed of WAN2 normally runs @900mbps.  Upon investigation, it was running at .5mbps - so the router did not recognize the failover as it did not consider the connection to be down.

I'm hoping someone can explain if we changed the precedence for both connections to 1 and assigned percentages (say 80 to WAN2 and 20 to WAN1) what would have happened in the scenario described.  Ideally, if the mbps dropped to below 10, for example, it should recognize a failure and switch over to WAN1.

Thanks,

Sam

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you can only load split, until the ping loss or port down, then the  failure scenario will come in to play, so it will not fail over in any case of service degrade.

these are small business router, not sure you get unlike feature like enterprise switches, you can have different set of config check to fail over the load.

Features of WAN Load Balancing

• Efficient utilization of multiple WAN interfaces.

• Can be used to distribute traffic among the interfaces.

• Monitors each WAN connection using repeated ping tests and automatically routes outbound traffic to another WAN interface if connectivity is lost.

• Outgoing network load balancing is performed on a per IP connection basis; it is not channel-bonding, where a single connection uses multiple WAN connections simultaneously.

• The Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) interfaces of WAN can also be configured for load balance or failover.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

do you have any recommendations on a product that can perform the
monitoring of bandwidth speeds?

Any routers above Cisco 8XX with dual-WAN Links should able to do that.

BB

can you please point me toward brochures for that product...

here go, are you looking to support wan speed of 500MB or more so look at datasheet carefully.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/800-series-routers/index.html

Note : some router may be expensive.

BB

I've tried calling for pre-sales tech support and have been placed on eternal hold.

Which router would you choose?

Will the router allow a Shrewsoft VPN connection?

How many tunnels will the router support?

Can you specify that if the speed of a WAN port drops below a certain figure that it will switch over to the other WAN port?

Are there any features of the RV345 that are not supported on the 8xx routers?

Thanks,

Sam

You can compare RV vs Cisco 8XX router - they used different use cases.

Again it all depends on how the user wants to use it. I use higher-end performance router ISR for home use this does not mean every user needs to use the same.

So SMB Model RV has all the features and cost-wise reasonable.

Cisco 800 got some feature overlap with RV, but check the throughputs.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: