Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345 VLAN1 IP-Address

gekko01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to assign IP address 10.10.0.1/24 to VLAN1 on a RV345 router, but I cannot apply the setting because the router marks it red.

IP-address 10.0.0.1/24 could be applied without any problem ...

I use the same setting (10.10.0.1) on a RV325 and it works perfect.

What is wrong here ...

Any idea ?

THX

14 Replies 14

gekko01
Level 1
Level 1

Solved !

Went back to firmware 1.0.00.33 - afterwards I was able to change the IP-address. Obviously a firmware bug in version 1.0.01.17 !

Hi gekko01,

Thank you for reporting the issue.

Kris

The bug in the newer firmware still exists as of the firmware 1.0.01.18.

You cannot change IP address on the LAN or even create VLAN2 in the firmware 1.0.01.18

After downgrading to the 1.0.00.33 it works.

IF you create VLAN2 in the older firmware AND create DHCP THEN you load newer firmware - NO ENTRIES and NO WAY TO CREATE or MANAGE DHCP in the newer firmware SERIOUS issue,.

Just wondering when and how fast Cisco will fix and address this issue.

Also instructions from other post is not working for the same reason -

BUG IN THE NEWER AND NEWEST FIRMWARE - router web interface stops responding as soon as you apply changes - there is no way to go to other settings or log again.

Below instructions from Cisco STAC Mridul Kumar Singh are great but for the oldest firmware only - DOES NOT WORK IN THE NEWER FIRMWARE.

Waiting for Cisco to reply ASAP to this message and fix the issue ASAP

>>> beginning of quote from previous thread:
Please follow the attached screenshots to change the IP address of the router (RV340/345) from default 192.168.1.1(192.168.1.0/24) to 10.0.0.1(10.0.0.0/24).

Every setting change needs to be done on LAN column of the router:-

a)vlan settings/vlan membership.

b)LAN/DHCP setting.

Steps:-

1. Create a new vlan 2 of Ip address 20.0.0.1/24 and untaggged vlan 2 on port 2

2. Create DHCP for vlan 2 as 20.0.0.100-20.0.0.149

3. Get the access of the router on port 2 via IP address 20.0.0.1(router's Ip address)

4. Once you have got the access on port 2, then change the IP address on vlan 1 to 10.0.0.1/24(10.x.x.x subnet)->apply

5.Then change the DHCP for vlan 1 to 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.149->Apply.

6.Get the access of the router via 10.0.0.1 on port 1 of router.

7.Then delete the DHCP of vlan 2(20.0.0.100-20.0.0.149) under LAN/DHCP settings

8.Then delete the vlan 2 for 20.0.0.1/24 under vlan membership/vlan settings.

9.Finally you are left with the IP address of 10.x.x.x subnet for vlan 1.

We tried to directly change the IP address of the vlan 1 under vlan memebership/vlan settings to 10.0.0.1 from 192.168.1.1 but were unable to get the access for vlan 1 as the DHCP also needs to be changed once you change the vlan 1 ip address.

All you need is make sure that the :-

un-tagging for vlan1 on port 1(192.168.1.0/24 -> 10.0.0.1/24)

un-tagging for vlan2 on port 2(20.0.0.1/24->Deleted after the VLAN 1 IP address change to 10.0.0.1/24)

Regards,

Mridul Kumar Singh

Cisco STAC" - end of quote

<<<

CISCO - PLEASE REPLY

You can't have untagged ports in more than 1 VLAN.

Create VLAN 2 (or whatever number you want to use) and make all those ports Unassigned and set the default VLAN ports to excluded (not tagged).

Then save your configuration (don't forget to save to startup config) and you should be able to change the VLAN 1 address assignment. though I don't think you can delete VLAN1.

==================================================

This is NOT a bug..it's the way the box works ... above are the steps without spoon-feeding

This is a great box for the price and capabilities

U cant change it no matter what u do or dont do 

its a bug, no worse, its an inexplicable careless thoughtless oversight and lack of QA for a such a simple function that 99% of customers will do 1st thing out of the box!  Unreal 

Just got response from Cisco - they closed my ticket not resolving the issue.

Be prepared to deal with the bug for at least next few months.

Good luck.

Hey they thanked the 1st guy for reporting it in february, on the .17 version -

its only been 3+ months, and wasnt even acknowledge as open, let alone resolved, in version .18

Its not like ciscos a big company with lots of cash and resources or anything like that :) 

* Workaround (for those that upgraded and dont want to lose their full config rolling back the FW)* :

Note:

-  you CAN change the vlan 1 IP 

- you still CANNOT manage the router from that network, until cisco fixes the “allow management” option inaccessible issue

- however you CAN manage it from the new mgmt network you will create

steps:

1- create new vlan

- for example: vlan 100, ip 10.1.1.0/24

- make sure “intervlan routing” & “allow management” boxes are ticked

2 - scroll down to the port vlan assignments and click edit, change at least one of the unused ports you are not plugged in to, to vlan 1 tagged,  vlan 100 untagged (vlan 1 as excluded prob works too, the untagged vlan 100 is what matters most)

3- click apply

4- move your management pc/laptop patch cable to that port you just changed

5-  in windows, statically change your pc / laptop ethernet NIC ip to 10.1.1.2 /24 (def GW is 10.1.1.1 but prob doesnt matter)

you should be able to access the gui on both the 192.168.1.1 and the 10.1.1.1 url addresses

now you can change vlan 1 to whatever you want. Save / apply  Then go change the dhcp scope for vlan 1 and turn on dhcp for 10.1.1.0/24 if you like as well 

now vlan 100 can be ur mgmt vlan or whatever you made vlan 1 can be, but you can only access the gui when on vlan 100. Both networks can be pinged and router fine, you just can't get to the gui if ur pc is on vlan 1 

If i botched the steps and you need this LMK ill redo it and edit but i think thats it

I was working with Cisco case management. I reset completely the router, then cleaned browsers.

After advise to also unplug Ethernet wire after changing IP - it seems to work now.

I will be doing more testing in the next few days and will post if issue occurs again

Glad it is working.  I did not have to unplug the Ethernet wire.  I just had to change the IP on the workstation to the new network.

Lee Cox
Level 2
Level 2

Did you look at this thread....https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/how-to-change-lan-ip-range-on-rv345/td-p/3083471/page/2

I just changed my IP address a couple of days ago.

Daniel Hoegele
Level 1
Level 1

These are the steps from cisco case management to upgrade a RV345 to firmware 1.0.01.18 and still beeing able to manage it via LAN:

1. Always back up the config before taking any action.
  2. Flash Firmware 1.0.00.33
  3. Configure VLAN1 IP-Adresss and save to startup config
  4. Upgrade the router to 1.0.01.17
  5. Access the router from UI and
  6. Enable remote management (will be used for backdoor entry. Can be removed after successful upgrade)
  7. Save running to startup
  8. If Step 6 is not required because remote access is already configured, then Still repeat step 7 to save your configuration with 1.0.1.17 version.
  9. Upgrade the router firmware to 1.0.01.18
  10. Access the router from LAN

Did work for me...

Maybe I was lucky but I received my RV340 router put 1.0.01.18 on it.  I then changed the IP network and mask, then turned off DHCP.  I use a Cisco SG300-28 layer 3 switch as the heart of my network.

Is this bug only particular only to the RV345 and not the RV340?

Is there any difference between the RV345 and RV340 software wise?  They seem the same to me.

I've been using the RV345 for several months; there are no bugs that I've noticed with the latest firmware.It does exactly what I needed it to do..all aspects of isolating VLANs managing the box and yes dynamic routing of multiple VLSM IPv4 networks. Other networking equipment (toys actually), just can't do this. I do not work for Cisco but I have quite a few years experience in MP networking and I was very happy when I got this box and it worked out.

Cisco makes top notch, powerful and true networking capable products (so far). All I can say is, sometimes it takes some persistence in what context the device manager's configuration parameters are and how they are meant to be used.

I can verify this is a working solution I had the issue where you can change the vlan 1 ip but the setting "device management" is not set to Enabled by default(this stops access to the web interface when the Ip is changed).

When you see it is set to "Enabled" you know the problem is fixed. Do not update to the latest (I did as soon as I received the router 11.0.01.18.), firmware you must follow this process first, it also seems to fix other issues and it actually runs great once done.  

This is what I did.

Download firmware from

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286287791/type/282465789/release/1.0.01.16

1.Reboot to original firmware 1.0.00.33 and reset to factory defaults (this option is under reboot. OR manually install this firmware if it is not.

2.Change password when prompted
3.Install v16 firmware no need to set to factory defaults
4.Install v17 firmware no need to set to factory defaults
5.Install v18 firmware set to factory defaults
6.Now everything works, check that the setting "device management" is set to Enabled. Now you can change the ip address of the rv345, log back in to the web interface and save.

This explains why everyone does not have this issue, because if you have upgraded over time the various firmware versions you will not have this issue. There is something set by the earlier firmware that carries over to the newer firmware that is missing if you skip to the very latest build. Unlike a lot of other routers a firmware upgrade does not completely replace all data on the rv345 router.

That said cisco need to make sure the later firmware's apply all the required files/settings to save this process.

Tip:Putting all firmware files on a usb first and plugging it into the router makes the process pretty fast. About 30 min