Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345P - PPTP and L2TP clients can't authenticate to local db

iceradish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am having VPN connection issues on Cisco RV345P VPN router. I am trying to setup Windows 10/7 clients to connect to this RV345P router via PPTP or L2TP; no matter is I try PAP, CHAP and CHAP2, I am having same issue. However, I am getting following error logs at below,

2019-Nov-24, 14:20:43 MST warning vpn pptp: Peer vpnuser failed CHAP authentication
2019-Nov-24, 14:20:43 MST error vpn pptp: RADIUS: Can't read config file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf
2019-Nov-24, 14:20:43 MST error vpn pptp: rc_read_config: can't open /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: No such file or directory

Even after I have upgraded to the last Firmware: 1.0.03.16, the problem still exists. After I searched in Cisco knowledge base, I found this is a Cisco bug since Firmware 1.0.1.17. I will assume this issue should be long fixed by now but looks like it's not.

The blow URL is Cisco Bug Search Result about this issue.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvd97778/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir%C2%A0

By the way, in the router portal, under "System Configuration" -> "User Accounts" -> "Service Auth Sequence", 

I already set PPTP and L2TP to authenticate with "Local DB", but still having issue.

Please help! Thank you in advance!

6 Replies 6

Same issue!

have exactly the same issue with my RV260 and the latest FW(1.0.01.01). have tested with PPTP only.

@dmitrylukashonok 

@iceradish 

@DanielPruteanu86859 

Hi all,

You can try the following thread:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/how-to-connect-to-rv340-on-windows-via-vpn/td-p/4105119 

or follow the steps in the guide attached.

Regards,

Martin

thank you for the link. however, this is workaround only and it's not the best one as we are using secure VNP connection with no encryption on auth phase. what is the security here then? this is not the solution. 

Hello Dmitry,

You are right that is a workaround only. At this point, there is no resolution on this bug and we could not estimate when  CHAP or MS-CHAP support will be included in the firmware. We will keep you posted if any update.

Regards,

Martin 

hello Martin,

based on the history it's reasonable just to forget about the functionality and look for another solution. it's sitting into the bucket from 2018. this is my feeling at least.

anyway, thank you for your input