cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVL200 won't auto-reconnect to Internet after power loss (PPPoE)

molecules
Level 1
Level 1

My RVL200 firmware 1.1.7 is configured for PPPoE. The connection to the Internet is via an ATT (SBC) DSL line using a Siemens Slipstream 4100 modem. The 4100 is configured to allow the PPPoE connection to be managed by the router. The RVL200's PPPoE fails to automatically reconnect to the Internet after a power loss (or if I click Disconnect on the RVL200's web page). This is true for both the Connect on Demand and Keep Alive PPPoE alternatives. In either case, I have to go to the router's web screen and manually click "Connect" to force a reconnection. The LAN is populated by Win XP SP2 systems.

Is there some special configuration needed on the LAN, in the RVL200's routing table, or in the modem to allow automatic reconnection to occur? Obviously it is undersirable to have to give out the RVL200 password to everyone who might need to force a reconnect after a power loss.

Neither the RVL200 Admin Guide not the Users Guide has any useful information on this issue.

3 Replies 3

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

There is not any know issues of this happening with the rvl200 and pppoe reconnecting up.  Does it ever reconnect, or do you always have to manually reconnect.  How often are you seeing this device power cycle?

I have to manually reconnect it. This issue came up when testing what would happen with an RVL200 in a power failure - whether it would automatically reconnect. I don't expect a lot of power failures, but I do want the network to reconnect automatically rather than have to count on someone knowing how to do it and having the apssword.

Am I correct that it is supposed to automatically re-establish the PPPoE connection?

What triggers the reconnection?

Perhaps you could take a packet capture at the WAN port of RVL200 after a power failure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: