cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Firewall with two HTTP servers

zeevionis
Level 1
Level 1

UP until now, I have had a SBS2008 server behind my RFS4000 firewall.  I have used port forwarding rules to map http to my SBS, and this has worked for both IIS and for SharePoint Services.  I am now looking to create distinct IIS server and Sharepoint server, each with their own address (virtual machines).  How would I configure RVS4000 to pass HTTP requests to both servers?  I know the servers are smart enough to differentiate between headers (e.g. www.domain.com versus sharepointsite.domain.com, but can the router handle serving up http requests to both servers?  If now, any ideas how I could do this?

2 Replies 2

Hayfever76
Level 1
Level 1

Ze'ev,

You can't do what you wnat to do with the RVS like that. It only has a 1-1 port mapping capability (as you've seen). You need a firewall that lets you set more advanced rules for so that multiple HTTP requests can be evaluated on the basis of the Host Header and directed accordingly. You need something like a SonicWall TZ-210 (or more preferred is the CISCO variant :-) ).

It sounds like you might be doing with Sharepoint exactly what I did which was to move the Companyweb to a new server. If that's the case then what you can do is to bind a second port (like 987) to the Companyweb through IIS on that new server so that when your users attempt to reach it through RWW you can have the RVS direct them to the new server that way. That works great.

A third option for you might be to use either or both of either url re-write tool (which you'll need to download from IIS.NET) or the HTTP Redirect but I don't have enough experience with either and have not tested them to confirm they'll work for you.

Finally, a 4th option is to use ISA Server (or now called the Forefront Threat Management Gateway) on or in front of your IIS server.

Cheers

John

Thanks very much, John.  Yes, I thought that might be the answer.  But I hoped!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: