cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 (v1.2.11) - NetBIOS over Gateway-Gateway VPN fails

neotechinc
Level 1
Level 1

I replaced two BEFSX41s with RVS4000s (v1.2.11) and now am unable to browse between the networks (was working before the swap).  The RVS4000s are configured with a Gatewat to Gateway VPN with NetBIOS broadcast enabled in the advanced settings,  I am able to ping, ftp, etc (using remote ip address) across the VPN so I know it is up and working.

Any ideas before I put a packet sniffer on the network to verify that NetBIOS is not being passed over TCP/IP (short of 'reset to factory defaults and reconfigure')?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

jestowe
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for visiting our Community.

If this is still an issue, please contact support at 866-606-1866 so that we may understand your network setup more fully and possibly duplicate it in our lab.  The NETBIOS option for Gateway to Gateway should in fact function as stated.

Thanks.

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Neotechinc,

I would not have thought that NETBIOS (a broadcast) would be propogated over a VPN link.

On more expensive Cisco routers, there is functionality like "IP helper"  to propogate in a unicast fashion Netbios.  Netbios is normally a LAN centric broadcast.

But microsoft are aware of this situation, it's really an old  old issue with getting LAN broadcasts over WAN links and have an answer that you might be able to use.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314108

Dave,

I appreciate the response and have checked the article you referenced.

The issue is that the RVS4000 has a specific VPN option for propogating NetBIOS broadcasts on a gateway to gateway VPN but it does not function as documented (in the advanced settings).

The Linksys BEFSX41 (and some Netgear routers) function properly i.e. remote PCs can browse over a VPN - once you solve the master browser issues.

In my case, I replaced a pair of BEFSX41s with RVS4000s and the remote office lost the ability to browse the local office.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: