Views
Helpful
Replies

[RVS4000.v2] How to setup Itemized DHCP addressing

harry.putnam
Level 1
Level 1

Running RVS4000 on Cable modem.

'Itemized', is probably the wrong word I used in the subject line but this is what I mean:

Some small business type routers allow the user to setup the dhcp addressing so that specific hosts always get the same dhcp address, but I don't see how that might be done on the RVS4000_v2.  The router I just quit using was a NETGEAR FVS-318.  I ditched it in favor of the RVS4000 just for the gigbit lan ports, and still trying to learn to use it, at least as well as I was able to use the Netgear.

On that Netgear, it was clearly marked and notated how to setup the situation I described above, but I'm not finding anything I recognize in the `lan'  settings, on RVS4000 that I can recognize as a way to make that kind of setup.

Is it possible to make the dhcp server, serve the same IP address to a specific host?  Can anyone tell me how it is done?

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Harry,

Thank you for posting. Right under Server Settings (DHCP) in the setup page you should see Static IP Mapping. This allows you to have the DHCP server provide IP addresses based on the MAC address of the client. Each time that MAC address requests an IP address it will receive the same one. Please let us know if this is what you are looking for or if you need further assistance.

mpyhala wrote:

Hi Harry,

Thank you for posting. Right under Server Settings (DHCP) in the setup page you should see Static IP Mapping. This allows you to have the DHCP server provide IP addresses based on the MAC address of the client. Each time that MAC address requests an IP address it will receive the same one. Please let us know if this is what you are looking for or if you need further assistance.

Yup, that was what I needed, thanks.

The terms describing that section are pretty confusing.

Static IP mapping

And then the first question with dialog box to fill in is titled

Static IP:{     }

Well, one would expect this to be about assigning Static IPs as its called in several places here.

Though it may actually be a nonsense term, sometihng like like `DHCP derived Static IP', might be a better choice of wording. So the user knows this involves dhcp and not plain Static IP assignment.

But anyway, its what I was after so thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: