cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 V2 locks up every 1 - 2 days

bby_rvs13
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody! My brand new RVS4000 V2 replaced old USR8003 router in the same home network. The USR8003 did not require any user intervention for years. Running RVS4000 in the same network and with the same LAN IP address (192.168.123.254) requires power cycling every day or two. The router is connected to Motorola SB6120 cable modem. The local network includes a few PCs (WinXP SP3), two LinkSys APs, Roku, DirecTV receiver and a few WiFi devices. The router runs in Gateway mode with DHCP server enabled. Most of the devices have static IP addresses within DHCP address range. When the router locks up, it looks like a normal situation because the LEDs are lit the same way as usual indicationg ports activities. When it is locked, the RESET button has no effect as well as web and telnet interfaces. The only option is to power cycle the router, which restores the working condition until another lock up. The following actions have been taken:

• upgraded firmware to V2.0.3.2
  • Restored factory defaults
  • Disabled IPS, QoS, most of Firewall optional functions
  • Moved statis IP addresses in the DHCP address range

It does not look like a harware issue, but rather a software bug. Right now I am running the Syslog server to correlate lock ups with the modem reboots (Yes, it happens from time to time, but did not afect USR8003). I cannot find any information from Cisco documentation about static IP addreses on the LAN and if they have to be outside the DHCP adderss range. Any help is appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Boris, I think you're in the right spot with the external syslog to see if there are any errors reporting.Only other reason aside from software/hardware failure, may be somehow an IP conflict upstream.

Static clients should not be within the DHCP scope.

You may want to call the support center to get a look at things if the syslogs are revealing.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

Hi Boris, all devices/clients should have their own unique IP address.  Also, yes, when referring to upstream I do mean WAN. I have seen in a very rare scenario when an IP conflict happens on the WAN of the router which makes it seem lock up. A lot of times ISP provide modem/router units. If for some reason 2 of the same IP come from the upstream and make an ip conflict which happen to be the router's IP this can make it seem the router is locked up.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Boris, I think you're in the right spot with the external syslog to see if there are any errors reporting.Only other reason aside from software/hardware failure, may be somehow an IP conflict upstream.

Static clients should not be within the DHCP scope.

You may want to call the support center to get a look at things if the syslogs are revealing.

-Tom

bby_rvs13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your comments. I will move static clients out of the DHCP range and see what happens. So far, that was the biggest change I made since the last lock up. The RVS4000 ran for 2 days, 20:54:41 hours already. During this time there were three modem reboots, therefore, I do not think lock ups are related to the modem. When you said "upsteam", did you mean WAN or something else? The thing is that LinkSys WAPs have two MACs addresses associated with the same IP.address. Does this count as an IP conflict within the LAN? The WAPs have statis IP addresses.

Thank you,

Boris.

Hi Boris, all devices/clients should have their own unique IP address.  Also, yes, when referring to upstream I do mean WAN. I have seen in a very rare scenario when an IP conflict happens on the WAN of the router which makes it seem lock up. A lot of times ISP provide modem/router units. If for some reason 2 of the same IP come from the upstream and make an ip conflict which happen to be the router's IP this can make it seem the router is locked up.

-Tom

After numerous discussions with Cisco Small Business Support and setting up a Link Logger software, the router locked up again after running for 10 days! It took several power cycles to restore it back to normal. This was the last drop and I returned it to the seller. Fortunately, there was still 30 days return policy. It looks like a hardware design flaw or defect, but since other people reported this problem before, most likely it is the former. End of story. Bought another one from TP-LINK.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: