Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 VPN From Client Set-Up Problems

robinson.tom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been trying to configure this device (firmware v2.0.2.7) to be accessible to a Windows 7 client PC via QuickVPN v1.4.2.1

I've set up a user on the router. When I try to connect I get:

---------------------------

QuickVPN Client

Connecting

Warning

Server's certificate doesn't exist on your local computer. Do you want to quit this connection?

Yes   No  

[ I select No ]

QuickVPN Client

Activating Policy

QuickVPN Client

Verifying Network

Info

The remote gateway is not responding. Do you want to wait?

Yes   No  

I just have no idea where to start. The manual doesn't seem to even consider what needs to be set up if you're not doing a tunnel between two devices but want to connect from a PC via VPN (which is surely what most people want!?).

Please help!

Tom

7 Replies 7

robinson.tom
Level 1
Level 1

... bump ...

Dear Tom,

My name is Friedrich and I work in the Cisco SMB support.

With  Windows 7 the Windows firewall needs to be enabled for QuickVPN to work properly. Please mae sure that your ISP has these ports open: 50, 51, 443, 60443, 500, 4500  on both sides client inorder to have the tunnel connection  successfully.

Regards,

Friedrich

Tom,

Make sure that you do not have any third party Antivirus or Firewall software running when you attempt to connect. That software will block the ping reply from the router and the client will not be able to establish the connection. Many times in this case you will see that the router GUI shows that the client state is "Connected".

Thank you so much, Friedrich and Mpyhala. This has got me connected. I have McAfee Security on my laptop. I'd already stopped that from running thinking it might be blocking things but I'd never have thought of having to start the Windows Firewall. Just doing this got it working.

I guess the obvious question of: how do I get it working with McAfee and without Windows Firewall has the answer: you can't!?

Just got to configure everything else but this has really helped.

Thanks again!

Tom

Tom,

Thank you for the update! With Windows 7 and Vista the IPSec service is tied to the Windows Firewall, which means that the firewall MUST be enabled for QuickVPN to work. Some antivirus/firewall software gives the option to allow the Windows Firewall to function along with it. If you can get that configured, then you just need to make sure that the software also allows QuickVPN to function as well and you should be able to continue to use your antivirus. I have seen a few customers accomplish this by completely removing the antivirus/firewall software and then reinstalling after QuickVPN is working. It seems that the software recognizes QuickVPN when it is reinstalled and automatically creates a rule to allow it to work. Your results may vary.

I am having this same silly problem under Windows 7 and Vista clients.  Same router, same firmware revision.  I have allowed the quick VPN executable through Windows Firewall and the results are the same:  "The remote gateway is not responding".  Very, very annoying.  Am I missing something?

Regards,

Matt Scott

Matt,

Try booting your windows7 machine in safe mode with network, and attempt qvpn connection. Many times it’s 3rd party software stopping the connection. When you get gateway not responding means after the tunnel establishes the software tries and send a ping across the tunnel and waits for the reply for completion. If the program never receives a reply then we get error “gateway not responding” shortly it will tears the tunnel down.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: