cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 - Will config backup from v1 restore to v2 properly?

ericbgood
Level 1
Level 1

I'm replacing an older (& failing) RVS4000 v1 with a new V2.  I need to minimize downtime.  Will a config backup from the old v1 restore properly to a new v2 (all have newest firmware)?  There are a lot of tweaks including several VPNs and to do it all manually is not desirable.

2 Replies 2

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Unfortunately it's a hard one to say for definitely, but I honestly don't think it would work. The configuration may hold unique nvram settings that could permanently brick your router if the restore was forced onto it.

Best take the backup configuration, then restore the v1 router to factory defaults,then do another backup, then do a restore to factory on the v2 router. Then compare the two fresh backups using something like notepad++.  I would strongly advise though not to use a v1 config on a v2 unless your 100% sure.

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Simon is right - the config files are not compatible between V1 and V2 of RVS4000.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: