Views
Helpful
Replies

SB Networking for Dummies

Carl Hilton
Level 1
Level 1

Ok,

I need to set up a WAN Althought I have years of corporate network experience, I have never set one up for a small business..

I have an RV215W connected to an ISP DSL WAN. I will need to establish VPN with a new remote office. So, I assume I needed satic IP addreses from the ISP. Great.

My DSL modem is a Netgear DM111PSPv2.

How do I start?

I tried using the DSL Modem establishing PPPoE using the ISP's Static IP, but subnet mask defaulted to 255.255.255.255 so I could not assign one of the other 5 IPs to the RV215W and keep routing going (at least I could not figure out how). So I put the NETGEAR in BRIDGE mode, and when I set the RV215W as a gateway and had it do the PPPoE login, I could not assign it the static IP for the WAN. So, I tried putting the NETGEAR back into router mode, and had it use DHCP for the WAN address and put the Static IP on the LAN, thinking I could use the same subnet for the RV215W WAN but could not get that to work either..

I must be missing the big picture.

Any assistace would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Carl,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

I suggest you to let the RV215 do the PPPoE authentication, mainly because of the Site to Site VPN you need to setup, so let the xDSL modem in bridge.  Please follow the "Configuring PPPoE" section in page 26, chapter 2 of the admin guide as a reference;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv215w/administration/guide/78-20779.pdf

Some ISPs register your computer NIC card MAC address when the service is first installed, if you follow the above PPPoE configuration settings right and still unable to connect to the ISP, you may need to set the MAC address of the RV215W WAN port to be the same MAC address as your PC or some other MAC address (like the xDSL modem MAC address) . This is called MAC address cloning, please look at page 45, chapter 2 on admin guide for details

For the Site to Site VPN please refer to chapter 5 in the same admin guide.  Please follow that up and if still not work please let me know and screen capture the WAN and VPN settings you configure so we can look that up.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey,

Thanks, but in my original message I stated that I had tried to set the RV215 to PPoE but then was unable to set the WAN IP address to the static IP assigned by the ISP.

Hello Carl,

If the RV215 does not take your static WAN IP address I suggest you to contact the Small Business Support Center directly and have an engineer assigned to the case and work with you on this;

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Just so that you move a step ahead, I suggest you make sure you run the latest firmware release v1.1.0.5;

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284436489&flowid=37822&softwareid=282487380&release=1.1.0.5&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thank you for your time,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

I confirmed with TAC that the RV215W can not take a WAN IP address when in PPPoE. That being said. I have now used the NETGEAR to connect to my ISP and then I assigned the ISP provided IP to the NETGEAR LAN port and another of the IP's to the RV215W WAN port. I turned off NAT on the NETGEAR but NAT is turned ON on the RV215W. I can get to the internet and have verified that the IP seen on the internet is the one assigned to the RV215W WAN port. However, I can not PING the RV215W from the internet. Nor can I ping the NETGEAR LAN port..... Of course I can't ping the NETGEAR WAN port either...

Hello Carl,

Most ISP's block ICMP packets, for security purposes mainly, I suggest you to double check that with them and go back to the TAC engineer assigned to your case for further troubleshooting if required.

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is anything I may assist you with in the meantime.

Thanks for your time,

Jeffrey,

Most of the research I have read, indicates that the modem should be in bridge mode when using a downstream router and the router should be making the PPPoE connection. I will call defeat but now need the correct router.

Also, if I turned off NAT on the DSL MODEM, I was able to PING the DSL MODEM, just could not ping past the DSL MODEM. But this is not cisco equipment, so ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: