Views
Helpful
Replies

setup a daily wireless schedule RV220W

Daniel Ernwein
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I just bought a RV220W. One of the features I need to setup is a daily wireless plan, i.e. parental control: my wireless connection needs to be open at different times depending on the day, for 2 specific wireless devices, while others wireless devices have continuous access.

Unfortunately, the wireless schedule only lets me set up one start/stop time only (i.e. the same one every day).

I noticed that I could possibly set up a firewall access rule with a specific schedule, but I have no idea if this would work, and how to set it up...

I need expert advice on this.

My basic idea was then to open the wireless SSID I want to control from 7.30am to 11pm every day, and then add a firewall rule that would close the access to the said devices (using their MAC address) from say 10-11pm on given days... But I am not quite sure how to set this up...

Please advise!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Daniel, thanks for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community. You could configure your firewall by schedule using this document as referent, however you just could restrict the access to the Wifi network, not schedule the access using the  MAC-addresses, but you can block or allow them, you can see the configuration here

I hope you find this answer useful, 

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Daniel, thanks for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community. You could configure your firewall by schedule using this document as referent, however you just could restrict the access to the Wifi network, not schedule the access using the  MAC-addresses, but you can block or allow them, you can see the configuration here

I hope you find this answer useful, 

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Thank you Jonathan. This is very helpful indeed. I appreciate the guidance.

I have bought the RV220W also because of the Wireless schedule feature. I don't want to block the traffic (as discribed above) i just want to turn the wireless signal off over night. But it only seems possible to set it from i.e. 6am - 23.59pm, where can i request a firmware change, to make it possible to schedule the wireless from 6am - 1am? or is there a workaround?

I am not sure to undertand exactly your needs, but I actually found a way to get different wireless schedules by setting a firewall access rule (Block by Schedule)...

Yes, i know that blocking by schedule is working. But i really want to physically turn off the Wireless Signal during the night. I want to have no physical WLAN signal from 1am - 6am. This is with the current interface not possible!

I have customers who just want no Wireless Signal broadcasted while they are sleeping, and i think that is just what this router is able to do... just not right yet...

Unless I am wrong, using the main schedule (in the wireless > Basic settings) actually disables the wireless signal. The only restriction with this setting is that the schedule is the same every day. Using a "blocking by schedule" setup doesn't disable the signal indeed, but only specific devices, depending on what you are configuring. I wish Cisco would update the firmware with such a feature, it would be very useful indeed!