cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sharing printer of a quickvpn client

lciavarella
Level 1
Level 1

We purchased an RV220W to allow remote clients to connect into the main office and work just as if they were connected in the LAN at the office. Most of the work is done through a remote desktop connection to a terminal server in the LAN at the main office. I have successfully connected to the terminal server but now am trying to figure out how to print from one of the applications on the terminal server back to the quickvpn client's USB printer. The terminal server application cannot use ts client printers but can only print to printers via a networked printer. So for printing to work I am trying to share the printer on the quickvpn client so that the terminal server can then map to it and the application can print to it. I have searched through the manual for the RV and am not finding exactly how to do this. Is there a way to assign a static IP to the quickVPN client so that it can share it's printer and allow the server to map back to it? Is this done through a VPN policy that can tie the quickvpn user to an IP or can it be done through static IP mapping on the DHCP server on the RV220W router?

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Louis,

With QuickVPN no IP address is assigned to the client so the tunnel is essentially one-way. The devices on the LAN where the RV220W is will not have access to the client or any other device on the client's network.

A site to site tunnel using another VPN router would be a better option. It would be the default gateway of the remote printer so it would be accessible through the tunnel.

- Marty

So would the RV220W work as one of the routers for a site-to-site tunnel? What would you recommend for the router on the other side for a site-to-site. Would another RV220W work for this?

Louis,

The RV220W works great for IPSec site to site VPN. Having one on each side would be ideal, although you could go with a less expensive option such as the RV180(W) (W is for the wireless version of the RV180), RV120W or RV215W.

- Marty