Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-Site VPN

marek.gula
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All...

I have a simple network with branch office in another location.

We use in main office SMB Cisco RV042 (with static, public IP address) and Cisco SMB RV180 (dont have a static public IP, only dynamic IP from ISP) in branch office.

Its very important for me to create stable VPN SiteToSite between this office.

What are the options for creating this VPN? I do not use DDNS..Because static public IP from ISP is cheaper then dyndns services :/

Thank you for your time! Have a nice day
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unless you can get a static IP at the RV180 end, you're going to have to use DDNS. That is also provided you can use DNS names in your tunnel creation and not just IP addresses. If you can't get a static IP and don't use DDNS on the RV180 side, you'll have to update the IP address in the tunnel configuration every time it changes. I used to have a RV042 with multiple VPN tunnels, and it wasn't very stable (always had to power cycle one VPN enpoint or another)... as you said, they're stupid routers. If you can afford it, try a couple Cisco ASA 5505's. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

sharonccie
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/936-cisco-router-vpn-dynamic-endpoint.html

For first. Thanks for responding. But try read my post again. We have stupid routers. This routers has no IOS :(........

If I'm wrong correct me

Unless you can get a static IP at the RV180 end, you're going to have to use DDNS. That is also provided you can use DNS names in your tunnel creation and not just IP addresses. If you can't get a static IP and don't use DDNS on the RV180 side, you'll have to update the IP address in the tunnel configuration every time it changes. I used to have a RV042 with multiple VPN tunnels, and it wasn't very stable (always had to power cycle one VPN enpoint or another)... as you said, they're stupid routers. If you can afford it, try a couple Cisco ASA 5505's. 

Thank you very much. This is best answer for me now. 

This is my solution to everything: asa5505 + router 1941. Static public IP used everywhere and I have no problem with availability. But now I must solve very cheap network and it is sometimes very difficult to make it work.

enjoy

Glad I could help! And if your budget doesn't allow for 2 5505's, you can always download the ISO of m0n0wall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/download.php?file=generic-pc-1.8.1.img) and install it on a PC at each end with two NICs. It's FREE! You can create manual IPSec tunnels and it's pretty standard (*standard is not to be confused with self-explanatory). It even supports PPPoE.

Good luck!