Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Link Backup - Dual WAN setup

pablopittavino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody!

I'm an IT enthusiast who temporarily took the IT guy's place when he decided to stop answering our calls...

In the last few months we've gone through hell in the office, and even our RV-042 router was failing for unknown reasons.

Some weeks later, I found that it was working again, so I decided to put it back to work.

One of the reasons we bought it in a first instance is its dual WAN capacity and the Smart Link Backup mode.

After fiddling with the setup, with DNSs and the Network Service Detection, I got it to work in Smart Link Backup mode.

We had an issue some days ago when the gardener chopped a branch off a tree, taking along the coax cable from our ISP.

The router didn't switch into the secondary WAN by itself when it should, since it was suposed to fail when pinging a DNS Lookup Host, which was the only option ticked.

My question is, what's the logic behind the Network Service Detection options checkboxes? Is it AND or OR?

I mean, when more than one option is selected, when will the router switch from one WAN connection to the other, once it fails to ping one of the selected destinies, or only when it fails to ping all of the checked destinies?

I want the router to switch immediately to the secondary WAN as soon as it has no internet connection.

What's the correct configuration?

Kindest Regards,

Pablo

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: