Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP 527w ADSL disconnections

federico.sassi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

at our office we've recently upgrade from a old consumer-grade linksys wag200g modem/router/ap to the Cisco SRP527w.

The Cisco is suffering from very frequent ADSL disconnections.

These disconnections happens when there is some traffic to the internet and they seem to don't affect the lan routing: on the weekends there are no disconnections at all while during the working hours there may be disconnections every FEW MINUTES making this router unusable.

Often these disconnections force us to do a full reboot of the router.

Firmare version is  SRP520W-1.1.19, the latest.

ADSL line is a 6Mbps/640kbps.

Noise margin is about 11dB for downstream and 20dB for upstream.

No voice line is used and therefore they are both disabled.

2 wireless network are active.

The old linksys was (and is) working correctly, no adsl disconnections at all. Never.

Is there a solutions to this problem? Is it known?

Regards,

Federico Sassi

40 Replies 40

Jari Rautiainen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having exact same problem with SRP547W (with the latest and only firmware available).

-Jari

Hi Guys,

Thanks for using the Small Business Support Community.

Could you please contact the Small Business Support Center to open a case for this issue.  When you speak to the support agent, ask for your case to be escalated in order to request a DSL patch.

Once you receive this code, please ensure that you provide feedback on the results.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi,

I opened a case few days ago. The support agent prodived me a link to download a another firmware, but that's the 1.1.19 which is publicly available at cisco.com. It's also marked only to be for srp52x devices, but according to agent it's for whole series.

The SRP547W ships with firmware 1.2.00(023) and i'm unable to upload the new firmware to the box. It just fails after 10-15%. I don't  know if the firmware is incorrect or if it's even possible to upload a firmware with lower version number.

Agent told that she will find out if there is another firmware available, but thats few days ago.

Let's wait and see what happens.

-Jari

We had our router replaced but we still have to set it up.

I'll post the outcome.

Federico Sassi

Hi Jari,

I think that there may be a little confusion here.

The 1.1.19 image is the current generally available firmware for the SRP520 series - i.e. SRP51W, SRP526W and SRP527W products.  This image is only compatible with these models and NOT the SRP540 products.

The 1.2.0 firmware series is currently compatible ONLY with the SRP540 series - ie. SRP541W, SRP546W and SRP547W products.  This image series will never be available for the SRP520 products listed above.

To address some DSL issues that are being seen in certain regions, our support team are able to make a patch file available to affected SRP527W customers.  The file name of this patch is SRP520_dsl_0.70.1_A2pB030u.bin.  This patch will be made available generally in the next SRP520 image posted to our software center.  Alternative firmware for the SRP547W is also available if required to address similar ADSL connection issues.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andrew,

how can I get that patch? It looks like it will addess the issues in our router.

Regards,

Federico

Please open a case and request escalation for someone to make this patch available for you.

Hi Andy,

Just to confirm. So there are also different DSL patch images to SRP520 and SPR540 series?

-Jari

Yes - different images for SRP/SRP540.  Speak with the support team and they will provide the appropriate code for your device.

That said, I was speaking with our engineers last night and there is a possibility that your particular issue may not be addressed by this patch.  Please try the new code and ensure that you provide feedback to the support team in order that we cover all issues.

Cheers

Andy

Andrew Hickman wrote:

Yes - different images for SRP/SRP540.  Speak with the support team and they will provide the appropriate code for your device.

No they didn't. Result was that they closed the existing case "because new firmware didn't fix the problem". How they can say that when they haven't provided any firmware or patch which would install to this version of the router. I asked about this by email and later on the phone and only answer is that "you need to open a new case".

So I did... try...

Called twice...first time (of course I had to explain everything from the beginning, because the person was different). He looked the closed case and came to conclusion that because the new firmware didn't fix the problem I should check the configuration...I told that I never got firmware for SRP547W. He asked if I use any Voip features. I said no. Then he told me to disable voice lines 1 and 2 (sounded odd, but I thought that maybe there are some internal lingage with the adsl line), play with different adsl parameters, test and call back if it did'nt help... So I did . Obviously it didn't help. 

And yes, I checked the configuration. Looked parameters from provider and from two working routers/modem).

I forgot to ask the new case number. I thought that there would be email confirmation, but there wasn't.

So I called back second time... I didn't have the new case number so I got new person again. And started explaining from the beginning again... She looked the old case again and told me tho send the wan configuration by email to the original support agent for review. I again I didn't get new case number.

So I did email screenshots from the configuration. Link to providers website where the correct parameters are shown and list of symptoms once more. I haven't heard anything since. So I don't know if they even opened the new case.

Symptoms:

- ADSL Data led is on even when there is no cable connected to adsl wan port and it turns off after some time (0.5-1h)

- ADSL CD led doesn't come on when cable is connected (wan status is "disconnected"). Some times it turns on when router is rebooted with ADSL line cable connected and then was status is "connected" (obviously). Line works for a while (10-15mins) and line drops and doesn't came on until router is rebooted. Sometimes it need several reboots.

- Log shows lot of ch0 and ch1 tx/rx overfows and underflows (normal or not?) and br0 and br4080 up/downs.

- Line works perfectly with cheap zyxel prestige 660h-61 modem and with Cisco 1841 + wic-1adsl (with same parameters)

You Andy have been very helpfull. Thank you. Otherwise this have been pointless guessing by support center. I don't know what to think.

Greetings Mr. Rautiainen

My name is Victor Cappuccio, i work in the support center for the Small Business in Europe, please sir if you can call at our support Center and have a case created, then please send me this case number directly (vcappucc @ cisco)  i will take ownership of this case and help you with the issue you currently have

Thank you 

Best Regards

Victor.

Thank you Victor. We are having national holiday rest of the week. I will try to open a case on monday and get back to you

Regards,

Jari

Thanks to Viktor and provided new code original problem was solved and ADSL line have now been stable for few weeks.

I encountered one other problem couple days ago. The router stopped routing or dns proxy stopped. Nevertheless I coudn't establish connection through the box. Admin GUI responded normally and I retrained the adsl successfully, but it didn't help. I decided to reboot the box and after that everything have worked normally. I will pay attention if it recurs or if this was one time problem.

Hello everyone,

I also need patch "SRP520_dsl_0.70.1_A2pB030u.bin" (or newer if there is any) - my ADSL connection is very unstable and my ISP verified my line status - it's OK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: