Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP 527w not accessible

Oldhat_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently ( three days ago ) purchased a SRP 527w and have been using it in a mixed Mac/Windows network. The setup is currently primarily using defaults apart from enabling logging. While I was still able to access the internet with some applications, accessing web content appears to have blocked after approximately 48 hours uptime.

No web pages using port 80 were available and that included the router web interface. The router would respond to ping only.

Frmware is 1.01.09

On a different note. I have to say that I find it very strange that the supplied documentation doesn't advise setting up the router using the admin login. It was only after reading one of the comments on this site that I was alerted to this security problem. I also find it rather annoying that I appear to have to purchase additional support merely to be able to download firmware updates which are designed to give the device improved functionality. 

Cheers

51 Replies 51

Hi Andy,

When, where and how will this fix be notifed?

I bought two of these from Misco in July and they have never worked reliably.

Will I need to purchase support to get these fixed or will the firmware upgrade be freely available?

Thanks,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

The software will be posted on the cisco.com website when it is ready.  This will be available free of charge to all SRP500 customers.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282910822&flowid=797&softwareid=282919993

Regards,

Andy

Andrew

Not sure if you are collecting any more data but:  Installed an SRP527W 2 days ago and it was locking up about every 4 hours.  I was just about to send it back when I found this article.  Seems stable now.  I am on Demon ADSL in the UK which uses the BT Leased Line network.

Firmware updated to 1.1.11

DHCP disabled

SIP as per article

Do you have a definative release date for the update yet?

Graeme Smith

Regression testing of the release is underway, as soon as that is complete, we will post to cisco.com.

I have now got the boradband version of the router, the SRP521W, into out 3 router system, I have upgraded the firmware to 1.01.11, disabled the lines as per the fault workaround, but it has made no difference to this router at all. Works for periods of time ranging from 5 minutes to a few hours, then seems to drop off the internet completely for a few minutes, then back again, continuously. Again, frequent complete lockouts, cant ping, cant remotely access it, etc, until I get an employee to reboot it.

I would say I have till the end of next week for the firmware patch, before the customer spits the dummy. This is making me look like an idiot, as I am the one who recommended these routers. I was sure if I bought Cisco I couldn't go wrong. I'm sick of making excuses for these routers now.

Hurry up with the firmware.......

Rob.

How is that firmware going?

Hi Matthew,

I'll post the release candidate for you now.

For everyone else: If you would like a copy of this code for test purposes in advance of formal posting on cisco.com, please send a mail to srp520-rc@cisco.com with your cisco.com username (what you use to log in to this site) in the subject field. 

Formal posting and support of this image is currently scheduled for February 19. MR3 is now available on cisco.com.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and patience in waiting for this new release.

Andy

nerlauda1
Level 1
Level 1

Anologue problems here

I tried to configure a IPOA connection LLC  with Mixed-mode DSL, WIFI disabled and static public  IP addressing on a VLAN, dhcp not natted on another vlan not accessing internet. So, NAT disabled.

It has worked for a little (about 3 minutes) , but phew minutes later the DSL connection was up and no package was  routed over ADSL.

It means:the router attested the connection was up, but  trying to ping an external domain from the router utlity the answer was that couldn't resolve dns and if I tried with a direct IP the destination was not reachable.

Instead the internal net was perfectly working, so did dhcp and web interface.

I tried to switch to RFC1483 bridged (just to try if I misconfused the configuration), and obvoiusly it didn't worked.

So i got back to IPOA and ...  incredibly it worked leaving me really confused.

What did I change? I left a IPOA configuration not working, I switched to a RFC1484 that could not work and when I switch back IPOA is working?

So I assumed: no problem, it's enough it works.

Then I tried to configure the VOIP lines, (this is why a choose this router, so I need they works).

As I tried the first config, I realized the router was not routing anything over the DSL. (I don't know if the 2 things have connections).

I gave up, I disconnected my new CISCO and i switched back to my old router.

If  I have more time I will try something again, but I was so happy when i decided to buy a Cisco product as I'm disappointed realizing it's deeply bugged.

I hope you wil solve this problems before I sent you back this horror show router.

For the same price I will buy unless 2 perfectly working devices from other producers.

Hi Luca,

Thanks for your feedback - and apologies for the delay in responding to you.

We're now investigating this issue (CSCtl73547).

Regards,

Andy

AqiusCons
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone else having problems with Static DNS? When I enter a local server, it seems to work for the first 30 mins or so, then the local records (eg: mail.donkeyrouter.com should go to 192.168.1.1) get overwritten by public servers (the clients of course are simply reffered to the 527 instead of being given the DNS directly over DHCP).

FWIW, I too am suffering from the same lockups etc... I was hoping to find some 'real' Cisco attitude behind the SMB Pro line. It was disapointing to find ssh access artificially neutered, but overall the devices capabilities are quite feature rich and the pricing is reasonable.

What's difficult to believe the worlds leading network vendor is taking longer then DLink/Netgear to attend to a critical fault.

High impact issue raised - Jul 28, 2010
Code fixed and firmware update pending - Oct 21, 2010 (3 Months)
3 months later (6 months since fault raised) still no fix - 19th January 2011

Clearly Cisco cares about the 'Pro Business' channel every bit as much as the earlier Linksys stuff. Here's to another RMA and another year of explaining to my customers that Cisco 'Business' products ain't Cisco.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and your comments.

I'll post the MR3 release candidate for you - I hope you will find it addresses many of the issues you have seen.  It's regrettable that this MR has been so delayed in its release, but please be assured that we have been working hard and contiuously to improve the quality of this build.

Regarding your DNS issue.  Where did you configure your preferred DNS IP address?  Within the DHCP Server definition, or against the WAN interface?

Regards,

Andy

In 'Interface Setup' under 'WAN, Internet Setup' I have:

Static DNS1: Private Server (Say 192.168.1.1)
Static DNS2: 139.130.4.4
Static DNS3: 203.8.138.1

Upon entering this information and clearing my local DNS cache, nslookups provide the correct local address. Some time later (certainly within 30 mins),without any modifications to the router, the same lookup returns a public address.

Under 'LAN, DHCP Server' there is only one 'Static DNS' entry, and it is inaccessible (The IP boxes remain grey on mouse over and cannot be tabbed into). I am running the latest public firmware .11. [Where do I download or get a hold of the MR3 release - Never mind, just got the email ty]

Thanks

Thanks again for the feedback,

I'll take a look at this - it doesn't sound right that the DNS order should change with time - especially when DNS servers have been statically configured under Internet options.

If you want your local clients to always query your local DNS server, you can Disable DNS proxy in the DHCP server configuration, and add your server address to the Static DNS field on the same page (the one that is greyed out when proxy is enabled).  If you disable the DNS proxy, DHCP clients will only be offered the defined server address.

Regards,

Andy

Well I'm pleased to report the new firmware seems to have generally improved the other issues. The DNS held out for a few hours - perhaps half a day. Apologies but no time to look into proxy workaround at the mo.

Hi,

Could you confirm one point?  When you say that the SRP starts using a public DNS server - is it using one of the statically configured servers from your Internet Settings list, or some other one?  (I appreciate that you might not be able to tell, as you can't see the request via DSL, but wondered if you had any other insight?)

Regards,

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: