Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP527W VLAN not talking to each other

hypercliq
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I'll keep it simple for the sake of the discussion.

I have a SRP527W router connected to a L2 managed switch (a TP-Link... I know, it is not a Cisco...). and a PC and a Printer connected to the switch. Now, I want to have the PC and the printer on 2 VLANs.

I've created 2 VLANs on the SRP (192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24) and I have assigned Lan port 1 to both. The SRP acts a DHCP server so I have the SRP setup as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 providing IP addresses to the 2 VLANs.

I setup VLAN 1 and 2 on the switch, assigning port 2 to VLAN 1 and port 3 to VLAN 2 (port 1 is trunk and connects to the SRP).

When I fire up the PC and printer they get their respective VLANs correct addresses (PC: 192.168.1.30 and printer: 192.168.2.30) but I cannot for the love of Odin see the printer from the PC. The SRP has Inter VLAN routing enabled. By the way, the switch has address 192.168.1.2

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any insights you might provide.

-Mike *kicking things around in the office*

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem at all, send me an email. We can get something set up perhaps tomorrow.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

hypercliq
Level 1
Level 1

OK, 106 views and not even one reply, fantastic.

I've got rid off the switch and now I connect directly to the SRP through ports 1 and 2... still no interVLAN communication...

Now the configuration is as follows:

I have created interfaces (DHCP servers) in the SRP: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1

I have 2 VLANs (1 and 2) to which I have assigned one DHCP server each.

LAN port 1 is for VLAN 1 and LAN port 2 is for VLAN 2

I attach two PCs to the SRP through LAN ports 1 and 2.

PC (A) gets IP 192.168.1.30

PC (B) gets IP 192.168.2.30

So now it looks like the two VLANs have been correctly setup and 2 PCs are on 2 different VLANs.

I make sure that Inter VLAN routing is ENABLED.

Then I try to ping one PC from the other but nothing happens.

And I cannot access it by IP either.

So my question is: do I have a broken SRP or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much, feel free to reply even if you have nothing to say... it feels lonely here.

-M

Hi Mike, since you're testing with computers, have you disabled the firewall or a security software? By default computers do not respond to ping and by default, computers will not respond to IP request from different subnets.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom, yes I have the firewalls down (those PCs are windows 7 boxes), this is what makes me go crazy.

-M

If you want, we can set up a team viewer if you'd like a second set of eyes. I got a few minutes to kill.

-Tom

Oh! I knew it! just my luck... I am not at the office right now, so I cannot take on your most wonderful offer... but thank you very much anyway.

I will reply to this thread as soon as I am back at the office (but it won't happen for another 12 hours I believe...) so if you are around then and still have a few minutes to kill I will gladly start a team viewer session...

Thank you again, and Happy New Year by the way

No problem at all, send me an email. We can get something set up perhaps tomorrow.

-Tom

Tom, you are a star.

Let me clear my not so busy schedule and I'll send you an email.

Thank you again and hope to talk to you soon.

-M

Hey Tom,

my boss got a new one (behind my back) and it works... I suppose the one we previously got was somehow defective but we will never know now what the problem was . I hate this.

I mark your answer as correct anyway because your willingness to help me out was just great.

Thank you again.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: