Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP547W ADSL issues

agaclaudio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have got a brand new Cisco SRP547W small business router to replace my old Netgear DG824 router. I have configured the DSL WAN connection with information provided by my ISP and the Internet connection works fine for a day or two then after that my intranet clients cannot connect to the Internet anymore. The same issues happen when trying to access my web server, email server, from the Internet.

When the issue occurs, I can ping the device IP address and connect to the device web configuration page from my intranet clients.

Also when I checked the DSL status it shows "connected" and I can see the public IP address, gateway, and DNS server’s information provided by my ISP. Both DSL lights on the device, power and LAN ports are on.

When the issues occur I cannot ping or resolve any external domains from my intranet clients. My old Netgear DG824 router was rock solid and I never seen this issues before.

Here are some things that I have already tried however made no difference:

-Disabled UPNP

-Enabled Keep Alive for the DSL WAN settings

-MTU size set to manual 1458

-Disabled WAN failover

-Changed the DSL modulation from Multimode to G.DMT (ADSL)

I am not using any of the voice features of the device at the moment so this should be configured with the default settings.

Finally the device has the latest software installed “1.2.00.023”

Is anyone having the same issues with the SRP547W on ADSL connections?  Or has any suggestions on what may be causing the issues?

Thanks in advance.

17 Replies 17

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

In your post you stated: "When the issues occur I cannot ping or resolve any external domains from my intranet clients." are you using the FQDN? or the IP address? if you use the IP address does it work? If it does work you need to use nslookup on your intranet clients to see what name servers they are using. verify you can communicate with those name servers and see if the name servers can resolve the IP addresses back to names.

There is not an issue that I am aware of that would cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hi Randy,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.  If I remember correctly when the issue occurs I could not ping the external domain using the FQDN.

Also I think I have tried nslookup for the external domain using the FQDN and the DNS request timeout.  I am sure I have not tried using the IP address for the external domain.  I will wait until the issue re-occurs and try these again and post the results.  I agree with you that it sounds like name resolution issues however I don't understand why would work for up to two days and stop working again.

The DNS settings that I am using on the SRP547W are identical to the old Netgear router which I have been using for 8 years and never has this issue.

I forgot to mentioned on the other post that the issues are resolved by rebooting or power cycle the device.

Claudio

Do you have any Firewall rules or content rules that might be blocking dns? It looked like you stated you could ping the DNS servers when this happens, let me know if that is true. using NSlookup, next time it happens try changing ns servers

nslookup

server 4.2.2.2

google.com

and see if it resolves.

Hi Claudio,

Do you mind if I summarize?

1. You can access the device locally - i.e. via the 192.168.15.1 address (or whatever you changed it to)

2. You cannot access the device remotely - i.e. using the IP address provided by your ISP from a device somewhere in the Internet.

Is that correct?

Andy

Hi Andrew,

Sure no problem.  I have the answers below:

1. You can access the device locally - i.e. via the 192.168.15.1 address (or whatever you changed it to)

A.Yes, that is correct.

2. You cannot access the device remotely - i.e. using the IP address provided by your ISP from a device somewhere in the Internet.

A. I don't have the remote web enabled on the device therefore even when the connection is fine I cannot acces the device from the Internet.

What I can access from the Internet when the connection is fine is my web server which is behind the device on my internal LAN.

However when the issues occurs then I cannot access my web server from the Internet.

I hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Claudio

Yes, it does thank you Claudio,

Stand-by.....

Andy

I think the issue is now resolved. I have changed the encapsulation from LLC to VC. After this I have not had the issues for the past 5 days so the connection seems much more stable now.

I am not 100% sure that the encapsulation settings would cause the issue, however when the encapsulation was set to LLC the Internet connection would work fine for a day or two then stop working.

Last Friday I checked with my ISP for the connection settings which is recommend to use VC for encapsulation. Since changing this setting the issue no longer occurred.

Hopefully that should resolve the issues for good.

Thanks Randy and Andrew for the quick response and assistance with this issue.

Claudio

Hi,

Unfortunately the issues reoccurred last nightL. Basically the intranet clients lost connectivity to the Internet. However this time symptoms were slightly different:

-I could ping the device IP address (the same as before)

-I could not ping any external domain (using both FQDN and IP address)

-I have tried what Randy suggested below and got the response: DNS request time out

nslookup

server 4.2.2.2

google.com

-I could not connect to the device console using the web browser

-I had to power cycle the device manually to get it up and running again.

After that the Internet connectivity was fine until early this morning when the issues reoccurred. Again I could not ping, could not resolve any external domain name (FQDN and IP address) however this time I was able to connect to the device using my web browser and use the reboot option.

It has been working fine since this morning however I know the issue will reoccur again at some point.

I really don’t understand what is going on; my 7 years old Netgear router never had this issue. Also back in January 2011, I had a second hand Cisco 857W router which showed exactly the same issues; Internet connectivity would stop working after few days. After spending three months going through hundreds of forums, blogs, etc., lots of sleepless nights, upgraded the ADSL firmware and IOS to the latest version available, I could not get the Internet connectivity to work reliably on the Cisco 857W. I then decided to call it a day on Cisco 857W and since it was second hand I thought there was a hardware issue and bought this brand new SRP547W directly from a Cisco partner. However the issues are the same on both routers.

I have emailed my ADSL ISP and asked if there are any know issues with the Internet connection on Cisco SRP547W device and the answer I got back was “no reported issues”.

In summary two different Cisco ADSL routers, 857W and SPR547W, have the same issues on my ADSL line but I cannot find the root cause of the issue.

I was thinking that perhaps it would be better buying a separate ADSL modem and use the WAN port on the SRP547W however I am not sure if this will resolve the issues since I don’t know what is causing it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Claudio

erictortola
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar issue. We just also bought 547W recently to replace our SOHO router that keeps on hanging up. We usually turn off our router everyday after office hours and I notice that the next day, all of my clients dont have access to the internet. by checking the config and the status everything seems to be OK and in order. same with Claudio's case, the router reports that it is connected, IP address and DNS are populated from the ISP(i suppose) and the status LEDs are lit for both CD and Data. I tried diagnostics and I wont be able to ping my ISP gateway through the router. I discovered that I just have to refresh the settings in Advanced >> WAN >> Internet Setup >> WAN1 >> DSL Modulation >> select ADSL2+ >> Submit

For now, I have to do this routine every single time when I come in to the office. I am not sure if I missed anything, do I have to go to another page to commit or save my configuration because some routers require you to do that.

Hi Eric,

This sounds a little different to the issue described by Claudio.  In his case, Internet access seemed to stop after a prolonged period of operation (I believe we managed to correct a very similar issue to this in our latest maintenace release).

In your case, you are saying that the connection does not start until you recommit the configuration in first starting the device.

Before asking too many more questions, could I ask that you ensure you are running the latest release (1.2.4(003) ) - which is available on cisco.com.  Just follow the link to the right on www.cisco.com/go/srp500.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, I have to go through the process I mentioned earlier and once the router has refreshed, only then the clients can access the internet.

Our router came with version 1.02.00 (023). One quick question though, just in case all hell breaks loose if I upgrade the firmware, resetting to factory default will also restore the original firmware right? I followed the link you provided I managed to arrive at http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283437659&flowid=23061&softwareid=282919993&release=SRP540%201.2.4&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest I suppose I have to apply the updates sequentially:

1. Firmware update from 1.02.00.023 to 1.02.01
  2. Firmware update from 1.02.01 to SRP540 1.2.4

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,

No need to apply the upgrades sequentially, just install the latest version directly.

Factory reset only reset's the configuration of the device - not the firmware.  If you need to go back, you can "Upgrade" back to the old release - although I hope you will not find you need to do this.

There are a number of enhancements to the configuration backup feature in the latest release.  If you plan to use this, I would recommend creating separate backups for each release you install.

Regards,

Andy

Hello guys,

same issue here, we have dsl issues. Internet quit working, the modem has the latest firmware and have implemented QoS. For some reason we are still getting kicked out. We are going to have a product launch for our services soon and we have chosen this modem to distribute to our business customers for broadband connection. Seems like are are no longer confident in doing so...

Please assist

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi All,

Just to let you know that the issue I raised on this post was resolved after installing the firmware version 1.02.01 (023) on the device. Since then I haven’t had any issue with the ADSL connection. I have not yet installed the latest version of the firmware 1.2.4 on my device.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Claudio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: