cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP547W with an Asterisk system?

chidcp999
Level 1
Level 1

I hope this is not a stupid question, but is it possible to configure an SRP547W's FXO/FXS ports to work with an Asterisk server?

I'm setting up a small office to use an Asterisk server and I was going to add a SPA3102 Voice Gateway, to allow me to connect the existing PSTN line and one FXS phone to the Asterisk system, but as I already have an SRP547W as the main office router, I thought it may be possible to utilise its FXO/FXS ports to do the job?

I had a quick search for examples, but nothing obvious, so before I even try playing with the SRP547's settings, I thought I'd ask here, in case anyone can either catagorically confirm it won't work, or anyone that has a similar working setup?

Thanks

Clive

1 Reply 1

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Clive,

To an extent, you can do this, but you need to consider the following:

1. The SRP voice interfaces were designed specifically for hosted voice solutions - i.e. where the call control exists on the Internet side of the SRP.  Specifically, the voice stack is bound to the public IP address of the WAN interface and all signalling / media will intially source from there.
  2. The FXO port in the SRP is really there for FXS port resiliency.  There is no user agent associated with this interface, so can't therefore be used by Asterisk as a PSTN gateway.  Of course, the FXS ports can be controlled by Asterisk, subject to point 1 above.  For clarity: calls presented to the FXO port are locally switched to one or more of the FXS ports.  Dial plan may be used to route calls presented to any of the FXS ports over the FXO line.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: