Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect my domain name from LAN with RV120W

kaudik12.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I can not connect to domain name ( www.mydomain.com\mail). From outside LAN it is with no problems but inside LAN I must log in with internal IP.

I have a Synology NAS with mailserver and photo station there and I have a port forward setting. Everything else is OK.

Can somebody help me, please?

Kaudik

4 Replies 4

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have a DNS server for your network?

If you do, you will have to configure a DNS zone or add a DNS record for your mail server. If you do not have a local DNS server, then the problem is similar to the SA500 routers where DNS hairpinning was or maybe still is a problem.

In my opinion, this is really not a problem and if it were my router I would prefer it not be able to resolve names in that manner. If I wanted to get to https://webmail.fancyrouter.net while I was working in my office at FancyRouter I would want to keep all my internal traffic (LAN) local. There is no reason to use WAN bandwidth for something local. So I would have a DNS server locally and I would create a DNS entry like this:

Domain: fancyrouter.net

Mail Server:

A record

gspfncymail (Hostname)

gspfncymail.fancyrouter.net (FQDN)

IP: 10.10.20.250 /16

NEW PART:

CNAME

mydomain.com

*** This is an ALIAS for your mail server A record ***

Now this may not work as above because your email application is actually a WWW record. So, you may have to JUST create a WWW record and point it to the mail server.

More information on how you are resolving DNS and are issuing local addressing would be helpful

Hello,

Thank You for your quick reply.

No, I don't have dns server ina my LAN. I was finding this problem on this forum and here is more users with same problem and Cisco technicians don't answer.

I Think to change hosts file in local pc (3 notebooks), but if I connect from outside to my mailserver, it will be not work.

So I don't know what to do with it.

Thank You.

You have an internal email server but you do not have an internal DNS server? What are you using as an email solution?

I have to aggree that creating static entries in host files are not a good idea. So let's just say there is nothing wrong with the router and we just need to make a configuration change. You must have a DHCP server on your network correct? If you so, is it configured to hand out a search domain, like 'mycompany.local'? Also, do you have a file server in your company and if you so how are you accessing your shares? Are you using a hostname or an IP address?

I use Synology NAS as email server (Postfix) and I haven't DNS server. Cisco works like a gateway and DNS server. But there is no way to set DNS record. I have no domain server in my lan. I have only registered "mydomain.com" and MX records for my IP.

If I had Dlink router and I try to connect to my NAS, I connect to www.mydomain.com:port and with Cisco it doesn't work.

I have one subnet and I can connect to other PCs with a PCname, it works fine. And my fileserver is Synology NAS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: