Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to establish VPN between RV180W and Ipad via PPTP

juhamleino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have tried to make a VPN connection between RV180W and iPad with PPTP. I have enabled the server, set the address range, added and user and enabled it.

I entered the same information into iPad but when I try to start the VPN, iPad just tried to make connection and finally fails with an error stating that PPP server cannot be reached.

I think the devices are able to make some kind of connection as if I change the gateway IP address incorrect, I get a different kind of error message. I also tried to reboot the router...

4 Replies 4

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Juha, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for your inconvenience, I will share with you a document in order to check your configuration and compare with the document steps. http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2957

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it was not helpful for me. First, I have RV180W router, not RV0XX like presented in the document. Also, I was connecting iPad to my network not Windows. Nevertheless, the same basic steps seem to be present in RV180W setup as in RV0** series routers:

- enable the pptp server - done

- set the ip range - done

- add user with password, username and enable the user - done

I also updated my router firmware to the latest possible. There's no change in the behavior. IPad still complains that PPP (note PPP, not PPTP) server is not responding.

With best regards, Juha Leino

Hi Juha,

I had some problems using the PPTP server in the RV180W.  I believe I  had to reboot the router after I had configured the server to get it  running (although this was old firmware).  Once I had the server running, I found that my Windows XP SP3 PPTP client would not connect although Windows 7 works.

I am assuming that you are trying to do the same as me  - set up a PPTP server accessible from the internet for your Ipad? (For  me it was a laptop tethered by mobile phone, not Ipad)

I doubt the PPTP server can be easily tested from your  RV180W LAN so it may not work if your Ipad is connected to your RV180W  wifi. I'd suggest the following:

1. Re-configure the PPTP settings on the RV180W and reboot
  2. If possible, connect the Ipad to the internet via mobile/cell  network (not the RV180W wifi) and try to VPN to the RV180W WAN IP address. If this  works, you are all done.
  3. Failing the above suggestion, try to  VPN to the RV180W WAN IP from a Windows 7 machine at a different location on  the internet (I used a Win7 PC at a friends house). If this works, you  know the RV180W is configured correctly and the PPTP is available  WAN-side.
  4. Connect your Ipad to the internet via wifi (Not a cell/mobile  network) ideally at the same location as the Win7 machine above (but not  wifi'd to the RV180W).  See if you can VPN to your RV180W from the  Ipad. If this connects, you are all done. If this fails, it may be that the RV180W PPTP server is not  compatible with the Ipad client (it doesn't seem to work with my win XP  client).

If you can connect the VPN on the Ipad  via wifi but not via cell/mobile network, your carrier may be blocking  PPTP traffic (my old ISP used to throttle PPTP).

Hope this helps,

Ross

Kremena Ivanova
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Juha,

What is the WAN configuration on the RV180 - public IP or there is a NAT device infront of RV?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: