Views
Helpful
Replies

unableto connect to rvs 4000 behind another router

jerbol.com
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening

I'am using a modem/router to conncet my lan to internet. unfortunetly it is impossible to switch off the router of my modem. So i connect my RVS 4000 on the modem/router and i assign it static ip 192.168.1.10 as my modem has 192.168.1.1. i disable the DHCP function on my RVS 4000. I m still using it because of its gigabit ethernet capability.

My problem is i am unable to connect to my RVS from the outside. inside the LAN no problem I just use its STATIC IP. I have a NAS on this LAN. I write a NAT/PAT rule in my modem/router to route HTTP and FTP and the port for the interface to my NAS. It's just working smoothly. But not for my RVS. I have checked the remote management and translate the traffic incoming on this port to the same port on the 192.168.1.10.

Unsuccessfull !!. ok that can't be considered as external traffic.

so I disable remote management and all the protection firewall, DOS,BLOCK WAN REQUEST. I route the HTTP port 80 to port 80 192.168.1.10. I try to connect to /home.htm....unsucessfull !!

So if somebody have some idea about this problem ...I will be very glad !

thank you very much

17 Replies 17

Thank you very much for your help the problem is solved !

David you were right. have a look on my actual diagram.

the thing difficult to understand for me was to set internet on static ip:192.168.1.2. and the gateway 192.168.1.1

now i can access all my routers and NAS from the cloud and also from LAN;)

thank you very much for your time and patience !

No problem, I am glad I could assist you and help you get that working.

I know this thread is 3 years old but I have the exact same setup. I haven't tried changing anything that you have mentioned yet David but when I get off work I will give it a try. But the question that I have is I have a Actiontec wireless modem/router and the RVS4000 is connected to that router. My NAS is connected to the RVS4000 and my wireless printer is connected to the Actiontec. My computer and my wife's computer is also connected to the Actiontec wirelessly. My question is if all traffic gets forwarded to the RVS4000 would I and my wife be able to access the internet wirelessly though the Actiontec? If that is the case, would it be possible to turn the Actiontec basicly into an access point.

Thanks for any advice you would give.

How my network is setup it

Internet----->Actiontec Modem(IP:67.x.x.x)/Router (IP: 192.168.100.1)------>RVS4000 (IP: 192.168.200.1)

I have another issue that I was wondering if you could help me with. When I use a seperate modem and connect the RVS 4000 and try to VPN in all works fine. I am able to access my network drive. The IP address that is given to the RVS 4000 is 67.x.x.x and the LAN is 192.168.200.x. But when I connect the Actiontec Modem/Router to the internet and then connect the RVS 4000 I am unable to VPN in from a different location. The Actiontec's WAN is 67.x.x.x and the LAN is 192.168.100.1 and then the  RVS4000 gets a WAN IP of 192.168.100.x and the LAN is 192.168.200.1. So what Im thinking is the the VPN can't find the RVS4000 behind the Actiontec.

Any suggestions

Heres a diagram to help out if I am confusing you

Internet---->Modem---->RVS4000 = successful VPN connection

Internet---->Actiontec Modem/Router----->RVS4000 = unsuccessfuly connection