Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade 3.0.0.19tmxx.rmt to RV0XX-v4.0.0.07-tm-20100819-code.bin

nevzat1967
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm a beginner in routers and bought  a new RV016 to connect to internet several ADSL connections. The router has the FW version 3.0.0.19-tm (should be RV016_v3.0.0.19tm_090216_code.rmt) and downloaded the latest version RV0XX-v4.0.0.07-tm-20100819-code.bin. Using the management console I try to upgrade the FW but after some seconds the connection is lost and when you reconnect it has the old version. I guess may be it has something to do with file extension. The new version has the extension "bin". What could be the reason? Many thanks for your help. (What is 3 Hardware?)

regards

Nevzat

6 Replies 6

rberber07
Level 1
Level 1

You probably don't have version 3 hardware, the router's firmware upgrade is failing.

The hardware version can be found in the code bar sticker, on the bottom of the unit, where the serial number is.

Rene,

many thanks for your reply. Can I upgrade the HW version as well?

best regards

Nevzat

No.   HW is the processor, mainboard, etc. the only way to "upgrade" is to buy a new router.

Chet Prokop
Level 1
Level 1

We've been using RV042's .. (RV's in general).. for years and have

at many small biz customers. How can we differentiate the 'old' from the

'new'?

Also, how can we ensure when ordering units from distribution we're getting the latest hardware version? I've seen supplier stock that still is the older box and assume version?

I hope Cisco pays attention to this and the existing base of RV customers and keeps the support and firmware updates for both paths current! ALso, it would be 'smart' to build a common update image which could differentiate the two versions of hardware so we can correctly keep in sync with our customer base and new installs.

So, is there a different SKU or something to ID the v3+ units.  We buy from Ingram and D&H -- neither of which could tell me they have v3 hw routers?

Chet.

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner
SMB - IT and Telecom Services
Houston, TX

All good points.

techstylegroup wrote:

We've been using RV042's .. (RV's in general).. for years and have

at many small biz customers. How can we differentiate the 'old' from the

'new'?

The new already has firmware version 4.  That only helps if you have access to the Web interface and see the firmware version.

Also, how can we ensure when ordering units from distribution we're getting the latest hardware version? I've seen supplier stock that still is the older box and assume version?

Yes, that's expected, every vendor will sell the old stuff first, or get rid of it somewhere else.  The only way to ensure anything is making the vendor guarantee you get the new version.

I hope Cisco pays attention to this and the existing base of RV customers and keeps the support and firmware updates for both paths current! ALso, it would be 'smart' to build a common update image which could differentiate the two versions of hardware so we can correctly keep in sync with our customer base and new installs.

I think I read in the product description that the new models are using a different processor.  That or the different OpenRG version (the actual software this routers are running) probably makes it unlikely that they can use the same code base.

So, is there a different SKU or something to ID the v3+ units.  We buy from Ingram and D&H -- neither of which could tell me they have v3 hw routers?

I don't know.

Chet,

I bought the router last week and now I get the information that the HW version is old :-(

I'll aks my distributor to replace it or I send it back.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: