cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use 5 public Ip addresses with one port.

AgentTyler
Level 1
Level 1
Hello, I am asking for a friend. He recently got T1 at his IT job and the company installed one unit in which both phone and ethernet go though. It only has 1 ethernet port. The company gave him 5 public ip addresses to use. How would one go about using all 5 with just the one port? A topology picture would be great. Sorry if this is a noob question but I couldn't wrap my head around it.
“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” – IBM M
2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It varies according to the exact termination type and what the provider provides, but we usually perform some sort of network address translation (NAT). The T-1 presents the public IP addresses and the router translates the private addresses to that available set of public IPs using NAT - either as a pool or addresses used in round robin fashion or - usually in the event of needing incoming statically mapped addresses - a combination of a pool or single IP (for outgoing traffic) and some static NAT (for inbound-initiated traffic).

company network (with private addresses) <-router inside interface-> router (performing NAT) <- router T-1 interface-> T-1 to ISP

So are you saying to set up a Nat pool then to make use of them all?
“All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.” – IBM M