cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using WRVS4400N as Gig switch only

Rob Gibbons
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 WRVS4400N's  availible to be. One is running my network and security connected to my WAN.

I want to use the other one stricly as a switch or even adding wireless repeat of my current wireless LAN.

Is this possible and if so can someone give me direction as to what i should do. Thanks, Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

You will not be able to use it as a wireless repeater. However, you can run the other as a switch.

First,

Turn off DHCP on this unit and change the device from Gateway mode to router mode. Then run a cable from your router LAN port to a LAN port on the one you are wanting to use as a switch.

Now at this point if you wanted to use the device as a second AP, you can set your SSID and security as well.

This was just a brief highlight on how to do this. I may have missed some minor details.

If you need please call into the support center and someone can further assist you with this setup.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

You will not be able to use it as a wireless repeater. However, you can run the other as a switch.

First,

Turn off DHCP on this unit and change the device from Gateway mode to router mode. Then run a cable from your router LAN port to a LAN port on the one you are wanting to use as a switch.

Now at this point if you wanted to use the device as a second AP, you can set your SSID and security as well.

This was just a brief highlight on how to do this. I may have missed some minor details.

If you need please call into the support center and someone can further assist you with this setup.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866