cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN help would be really appreciated

IanRees306151
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a separate VLAN to isolate a YouView Box from the rest of the network and I am not having much luck.

I have two ports the connect my ADSL router to the Cisco 220 Switch - they are GE10 and GE13.  My Youview box connects to GE9.  So I want a home network that connects to the internet via GE10 and a separate isolated network (VLAN 10) that just allows the YouView box to connect via GE9 to the internet via GE13.  As soon as I create my VLAN the YouView box is no longer capable of connecting to the broadband router.  

The adsl router does not support VLAN but i dont think that matters.  Any help gratefully appreciatedvlan 1.pngvlan 10.pngport vlan membership.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your help.  In fact I replaced my BT Home Hub with a TP-Link AC2800  which supports VLANs.  This has made it very easy to achieve isolation.  I wish I'd done this sooner.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

Are you able to access the CLI of this switch via telnet?

What kind of routing configuration do you have on the ADSL?

I am thinking that on this switch you would be able to assign interfaces 9 and 13 to the same vlan, then the other interfaces to a separate 'home' vlan. But that means the modem would need a two interfaces with two different IP subnets, which will then act as the gateway for each vlan. Is that what you have configured on the modem?  

Since the modem does not support vlan, then the idea of using 'router on a stick' would be impractical.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

Thanks for your help.  In fact I replaced my BT Home Hub with a TP-Link AC2800  which supports VLANs.  This has made it very easy to achieve isolation.  I wish I'd done this sooner.

Oh cool. Glad you got a solution.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.