cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Membership Confusion

davidnusbaum
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV220 installed in a local non-profit. Each of the 4 ports was assigned to a different VLAN, each of which had it's own subnet and DHCP configuration. Each of the ports is connected to a switch, 3 smaller generic switches and one large 24 port switch.

This morning I needed to change one of the port assignments. Unfortunately, the user interface has changed and I cannot understand how to keep the 4 ports isolated to specific VLANS? Based on what I am seeing, each VLAN can be configured as tagged or untagged for each port. How do I configure this to relate each port to a specific VLAN so that the correct subnet and DHCP rules can be applied?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David, if your goal is to have 4 separate subnets and those subnets not communicating to one another then the router should be configured for 1 vlan to each port.

As example port 1 is vlan 1 untagged

Port 2 is vlan 2 untagged

Port 3 is vlan 3 untagged and so forth....

Additionally, there is an option for inter-vlan communication, which should be disabled if you wish for those vlans to be isolated from one another.

Lastly, the switches connected don't need anything special so long as those switches are not interconnected. The switches connect to each router port but not to each other.

This will achieve 4 different subnets only communicating to the subnet they belong to and the internet.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom!

A quick clarification please...

So for VLAN 3 (Guest) I would have port 1 = tagged, port 2 = tagged, port 3 = untagged and port 4 = tagged.

Now a device on port 3 will use the VLAN 4 subnet and if intern-vlan communication is off it won't be able to see the other virtual networks?

It confusing because VLAN 2 (Office) would show as tagged on port 4, which suggests to me that it has access to port and that it's traffic end up being tagged. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Dave

Hi David, when modifying the vlans you can choose which vlans are tagged and untagged.

If your vlan 3 is a guest vlan then you need to configure a port as vlan 3 untagged and ensure the intervlan communication is disabled.

So as an example...

When you're looking at the router it says vlan 1 and each 4 ports says untagged.

When you see vlan 2 and each 4 ports says tagged

Vlan 3 shows each 4 ports as tagged as well...

So if you want vlan 2 to be port #1 port #1 should say untagged while port 2, 3 and 4 should say excluded.

If you want vlan 3 to be port #2, then you need to make port 2 say untagged and port 1,3,4 as excluded.

I hope this makes sense.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

"Excluded" is the part I was missing. The manual doesn't reference an option for excluded and I guess I didn't play long enough to notice excluded in the drop down. I thought my only option were tagged and untagged. I'll try this tonight when the network is quiet and then come back to mark this as correct.

Thanks again!

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: