cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan not working

piclement
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ! I've replaced an 881-K9 router recently with the exact same model. The previous one was working fine until it died (no more power). So, when I installed the new one, I configured it exactly the same way as the old one. The only difference being the IOS software that is more recent on the newer one, of course. I've checked line by line and all is configured the same way as it was before.

FE0 is the lan of the SMB (all computers and printers are connected to this port from a Cisco 24 ports switch). FE1 isn't used (I use it when I need to go and plug my own laptop through this port). FE2 and FE3 have each a WAP321 attached directly to these ports. I've attached the files SH Version_Replacement (sh version result from command line) and CiscoSupport.txt (contains the configuration lines with a few xxxxxxxx to hide important information but that should not prevent help from you guys).

I created 3 vlans (as it was one the old one). Vlan2 is attached to ports FE0 and FE1. That works fine. Vlan1 and Vlan3 are attached to FE2 and FE3 (which have the WAP321 connected to it) so that people connecting to my wi-fi guest network are on vlan1 and those that do have the wi-fi password are connected to vlan3.

The problem ... vlan3 isn't working. When I ping vlan1 and vlan2, I get a response. But, vlan3 isn't responding to anything. When I look at vlan configuration, I don't see vlan3 as being enabled. So, of course, my wi-fi isn't working at all since the WAP321 (WIFICONF and WIFIMULTI) are suppose to be connected to vlan3. Of course, I've rebooted the WAP321 and 881 multiple times with no change. And, I can't connect to the WAP321 since vlan3 is not working. Like I said, I've checked line by line and the config is the same.

I need help !! Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I finally solved my problem. What I had to do was delete anything from the configuration that had to do with the subnet/ip associated with my vlan. I also deleted the vlan and the int vlan corresponding to my problem (in my case vlan3 and ip 192.168.3.0).

Once that was done, I recreated the configuration starting with the vlan, than the int vlan. Than I put in all other relative information regarding this vlan (default-router, DHCP pool, etc). When, that was done in the proper order (I guess), it started working properly. I was helped by this post : https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/239241-vlan-is-down-line-protocol-is-down, specially the comments from plbkac55 on June 29, 2012 at 5:31am.

I do have another problem, but I will create a new post.

Thanks everybody for your help !

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mehdi.sadighian
Level 1
Level 1

hi

please send me the result of :

sh int vlan 3

and:

sh vlan

and :

sh int trunk

does the wifi connected to interface FastEthernet2 or 3 tag vlans?

try to put one interface in vlan 3 access-mode and see if int vlan 3 comes up

best regards

mehdi.sadighian@hotmail.com
http://msadighain.com

See attached file for the different commands asked for ...

Please note that "sh vlan" is not a command. So, I suspect you wanted to see the database information instead (sh vlan database and than show). That's the result showed in the attached file.

If you need anything more, let me know. Thanks !

Forgot ... yes WAP321 are Cisco Access points and yes they permit tagging vlans. I didn't touch those since putting in the new router since the setup is the same, they should work as soon as I have vlan3 working.

I'm not onsite so, I could not put one of the interface in access-mode. I'll try that later.

Can you show the output of:

show ip interface brief

&

show vlan 

With show vlan you should get an output that looks like the attached 

I finally solved my problem. What I had to do was delete anything from the configuration that had to do with the subnet/ip associated with my vlan. I also deleted the vlan and the int vlan corresponding to my problem (in my case vlan3 and ip 192.168.3.0).

Once that was done, I recreated the configuration starting with the vlan, than the int vlan. Than I put in all other relative information regarding this vlan (default-router, DHCP pool, etc). When, that was done in the proper order (I guess), it started working properly. I was helped by this post : https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/239241-vlan-is-down-line-protocol-is-down, specially the comments from plbkac55 on June 29, 2012 at 5:31am.

I do have another problem, but I will create a new post.

Thanks everybody for your help !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: