Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan two WAP121, a layer 2 switch and RV110w

Villy Feltmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to setup 4 Vlans in an office with 2 WAP121 and a RV110W, in between is a D-link DES-1210-28P POE switch. I have one patch-cable from the d-link to the router. how do I setup the router so all the VLANs go though port one on the router? Cause as soon I change the VLAN id on one of the SSIDs on the WAP121 I lose connection to the internet and local servers for that SSID.

the switch is set to untagged on the ports that the WAP121 and the RV110W is connected to.

best regards

Villy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can call us at 866-606-1866 from the US or Canada.  If you are in another country you can find your local support number from the link below.  Please have your CCOID (your username from Cisco.com) and the serial number of the RV110W ready when you call.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Regards,

Mike.V

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Michael Vandergrift
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Villy,

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing well.  I understand you need to send multiple VLANs across a single port to your switch and then on to your WAP121.  First, on the RV110W you will need to go to Networking > LAN > VLAN Membership and make sure that the port that will connect to your switch has VLAN 1 as untagged and all other VLANs tagged.  The next step is to set the switchport to which the RV110W will connect to match the tagging configuration you just made on the router.  This will most likely look something like 1U2T3T4T.  Next, depending on which VLANs you want to pass to your WAP121 you will need to adjust the configuration of the switchport to which the WAP121 connects to pass the desired VLANs.  For instance if you have 3 SSIDs each on its own VLAN  your switchport might look be 1U2T3T.  This will allow you to configure 3 wireless networks each on its own VLAN.

Regards,

Mike.V

Hi Mike,

Thanks Mike for the quick answer, that's look like the solution I was looking for. I don't dare to do it remotely so there will go a couple of days before I have the possibility to make the change that you suggest. I' ll let you know the result.

best regards

Villy

Hi Mike,

I have just tested your conf. and as soon as I change the VLAN ID from 1 to 10 on the WAP121 then I lost the connection to the internet. port 19 and 20 is where the WAP121 is connected and port 26 is where rv110W is connected.

Hi Mike,

I have just tested your conf. and as soon as I change the VLAN ID from 1 to 10 on the WAP121 then I lost the connection to the internet.

pictures of switch and router attached at my other answer.

port 19 and 20 is where the WAP121 is connected and port 26 is where rv110W is connected.

Villy,

It looks like you have multiple untagged VLANs on several ports.  This is an unusual configuration (unless I'm reading it wrong).  Usually, you want to have just one untagged (native) VLAN on each port, that would be VLAN 1 to match the RV110W.  Every other VLAN on that port would be tagged.  That is also how the WAP121 needs its port to be.  Also, when you say, "change the VLAN ID from 1 to 10 on the WAP121 " do you mean you change the management VLAN, the untagged VLAN, or the VLAN associated with a particular SSID?

Regards,

Mike.V

Mike,

so port 26 which is connected to the rv110w port 1 should be tagged for Vlan 10, 20, 30 and untagged for Vlan 1 and the same goes with port 19 and 20 on the switch  should be tagged for Vlan 10, 20, 30 and untagged for Vlan 1 like the picture attached?

the "change the VLAN ID from 1 to 10 on the WAP121 " was for one of the SSIDs "kontor1", the management VLAN and the untagged VLAN is left as Vlan 1 as it's default.

(port 5 and 6 is shared printers for all Vlans)

have now tried the solution. and it seem that it's the v110w that's not fit for the task.Vlan 10 got connection to the internet after I manually added DNS for that VLAN and I have to select inter-Vlan-connection too to get connected to the printer. Vlan 10 can't print as the IP address range now is different. son I don't think the rv110w is the right choice as every Vlan should be able to print on the same printer and for that they need to be in the same IP range.

any idea which router I can use for that?

The RV110W has the capability to route between subnets.  Please check the default gateway on your printer and make sure it is set to the IP address of its VLAN on the RV110W.  This should allow your to print from another subnet.  

If you are still having difficulties you can call in and create a support case.  That way we can assist you more directly.

I'll go there and try it tomorrow. At the moment the printer is is on vlan1 192.168.0.0 with it's ip 192.168.0.251/24 and the gateway set to 192.168.0.1 so I'll set vlan 10 to 192.168.10.0/24 gateway 192.168.0.1 and check if it works. I'll return later tomorrow and tell about the result. are there other settings I need to set?

thanks for your help so far.

Villy

I did try out the Vlans on the RV110w but as soon as I set the Vlan to 10 on wap121 or set the Pvid on the switch to 10 then I loose connection. I have some screendumps of the settings.

If I have to make a support case where do I do that?

You can call us at 866-606-1866 from the US or Canada.  If you are in another country you can find your local support number from the link below.  Please have your CCOID (your username from Cisco.com) and the serial number of the RV110W ready when you call.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Regards,

Mike.V

Thanks Michael,

I'll do that.

best regards

villy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: