cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What GBIC to Use when connecting a C2960 to SF500

mspecadmin1
Level 1
Level 1

Really new in the networking field and need some starting guidance.  I maintain a small network that consists of one (1) Catalyst 2960 (WS-C2960-48TC-S) and two (2) Cisco SF500 managed switches (Stacked).  RIght now the two SF500's are connected via RJ-45 and the 2960 is linked to the SF500 stack via RJ-45.  I want to utilize the GBIC connections to get the most I can out of the what I have.

Both switches have SFP capabilities with the 2960 having two 1G ports and the SF500's having three 1G/5G ports.  There are so many variations of GBIC's/Mini-GBIC's/etc.that I'm not sure what to get to connect them together.

Questions:

Since the SF500's have two SFP ports and one combined RJ-45/SFP port, I should be able to link them together using the combined RJ-45/SFP ports.  Is this correct?

Being the 2960 has 1G SFP ports, I should be able to link it to the SF500 stack - correct?

What model of GBIC should I use for the 2960 as I don't understand the differences ?  GLC-SX-MM / MMD or GLC-LH-SM / SMD?

What model of GBIC should I use for the SF500 to link the two (stack) together and to link to the 2960?  MGBSX1, LH1, LX1, BX1...?

How about the fiber cables?  What is the best/cheapest brand?  Only 2ft long or shorter required.

My budget is non-existent so I got to spend wisely.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Russ

1 Reply 1

Mark Sparling
Level 4
Level 4

Since the SF500's have two SFP ports and one combined RJ-45/SFP port, I should be able to link them together using the combined RJ-45/SFP ports.  Is this correct? Yes, you use the TwinAx cables 1/3/5m only no 7 or 10m cables example SFP-H10GB-CU3M=

Being the 2960 has 1G SFP ports, I should be able to link it to the SF500 stack - correct? Correct, Yes, you can use either RJ-45 or fiber cables just depends on the length you need to go.  Please refer to the datasheets for the switch to see the supported modules. If you want to use the uplink ports on the 2960 and need copper, you have to buy GLC-T= then you can plug RJ-45 cable into it.  On the SF500 it has combo ports so you can directly plug in RJ-45 cable.  Now you don’t have to use the uplink port for outbound traffic you can use the access RJ-45 ports too.  It’s up to you which way you want to.

What model of GBIC should I use for the 2960 as I don't understand the differences?  GLC-SX-MM / MMD or GLC-LH-SM / SMD?  The ones you listed need fiber cable to go between switches, and the difference is the distance you can go.  Please look at Table 1.       SFP Port Cabling Specifications - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

What model of GBIC should I use for the SF500 to link the two (stack) together and to link to the 2960?  MGBSX1, LH1, LX1, BX1...? To stack them please refer to answer on the first question. (TwinAx cable passive only) // To connect the 2960 and SF500 together over fiber depends on distance between, cooper cable is the cheapest.

How about the fiber cables?  What is the best/cheapest brand?  Only 2ft long or shorter required.  I use Belkin fiber cables but there are a lot of vendors out there.