cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which SMB router will support broadband at 60 Mbps download?

ingramcanada
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we are trying to decide on which router in the SMB line would support the above speeds on the WAN?

The datasheets provide NAT throughput info but I am not sure if that is enough to make a decision.

The RV180 series seems to offer NAT throughput at 800Mbps. Services other than NAT will not be required.

The RV042 also seems to be capable of supporting this speed but overall, it is not really clear if any of the RV's will work or not.

Please help?

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The "NAT Throughput" you see in the datasheet is the throughput of the device - so a NAT throughput of 800mbps will certainly support a 60 mbps connection.  I would go with the RV180 over the 042 due to the gigiabit ports on the 180. The RV042 is a dual wan router, which the RV180 does not support dual wan. The nat throughput of the RV042 is only 100mbps.  If you need dual wan, I would go with the RV042G which has a throughput of 800mbps and gigabit ports.

Just for reference, I've always found the reviews over at smallnetbuilder.com to be very helpful.

Hope that helps.

Best,

David

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The "NAT Throughput" you see in the datasheet is the throughput of the device - so a NAT throughput of 800mbps will certainly support a 60 mbps connection.  I would go with the RV180 over the 042 due to the gigiabit ports on the 180. The RV042 is a dual wan router, which the RV180 does not support dual wan. The nat throughput of the RV042 is only 100mbps.  If you need dual wan, I would go with the RV042G which has a throughput of 800mbps and gigabit ports.

Just for reference, I've always found the reviews over at smallnetbuilder.com to be very helpful.

Hope that helps.

Best,

David

patricemtl
Level 1
Level 1

According to this review RV180 won't support 60Mbps:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3618617#3618617

Tibor Kiss 23-Apr-2012 12:26 PM

In fact the NAT Throughput is far from reality... The real throughput is between 50-60 Mbps. We tried with a 120 Mbps ISP and also tried it with 2 PC (from WAN side to LAN side of course). We also tried with 2 different W type and a simple RV180 and the results are the same.

Considering the 1 Gbps port capabilities (which are OK!) and the expectations of today's (for example the 120 Mbps internet packages) this is really ridiculous! We tried it with and without every feature (firewall), etc., but now I have to say that this is true for all first version of the RV180 series.

I personally tested RV042 with a 60/3 Mbps cable modem connection without any slow down QoS activated. But make sure you put more than your connection for the max inbound/outbound.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: