cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a RV router handle this?

Terp84Alum
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to verify that a RV180 or another RV router will handle the scenario below.  Also, I need to share 1 internet connection and need to be able to reach the router remotely, the IP Cameras remotely.  I'm really trying to educate myself with VLANs by watching online training videos but I'm still getting confused.  In order to utilize VLANs, do you have to use static IP addresses on all the PCs?  This would be a deal breaker because the public wifi obviously would not consist of static IPs.  The cameras as well as the Point of Sale terminals would be static.  Also, as noted in the diagram, I have 3 rooms in this old building to home run to so that complicates things a little.  Of the switches in the POS VLAN and SURVEILLANCE VLAN will be workstations and printers (POS) and cameras and NVR (SURVEILLANCE).  I'm hoping the RV router can use port based VLANs so I can set individual ports up for each VLAN and then go swich to switch.  Lastly, does the RV support Layer 3?

Thanks

Ken       

Ken
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>In order to utilize VLANs, do you have to use static IP addresses on all the PCs?

No.

> I'm hoping the RV router can use port based VLANs so I can set  individual ports up for each VLAN and then go swich to switch. 

RV (e.g. RV180 and RV042G) support port-based VLAN.

>Lastly,  does the RV support Layer 3?

RV supports inter-VLAN routing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>In order to utilize VLANs, do you have to use static IP addresses on all the PCs?

No.

> I'm hoping the RV router can use port based VLANs so I can set  individual ports up for each VLAN and then go swich to switch. 

RV (e.g. RV180 and RV042G) support port-based VLAN.

>Lastly,  does the RV support Layer 3?

RV supports inter-VLAN routing.

Received the RV180 today.  None of the LAN ports worked.  I'm returning it for a refund.

Ken

Ken