cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRP500-A-K9 Router Loses Internet Connection After Rebooting the Router

James Grafe
Level 1
Level 1

I just replaced my WRP400 with a new WRP500. I thought that I set it up the same as the WRP400 but I must have set something incorrectly. I can't figure it out. I have set three DHCP Reservations. The first one is key to the functioning of my network. After rebooting the router, the router loses Internet access. I don't know if it's a problem with my DHCP Reservations, DNS proxy, or something else.

To get it working again, I have to pull the second and third LAN cables from the router, boot it, wait till it connects, then I can attach the other two LAN cables. The router seems to not recognize my address reservations.

I don't have DNS servers listed on either the Internet Option or LAN Setup pages. This router is behind a cable modem setup in bridge mode. The modem provides a TWC IP to the WAN port of the router.

I attached an image of the LAN Setup page. Is there something obviously wrong here?

Prior to configuring the router, I flashed the latest firmware (Version 1.0.1 (002)), and reset it with the reset button.

3 Replies 3

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello James Grafe,

I am sorry you are having this issue.  I do not see anything wrong with the configuration however there is something would personally do different to avoid any confusion on the network via DHCP clients.

The starting of the DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 so your pool for Dynamic clients is from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.202.  You have 2 devices reserved in this DHCP pool  .2 and .4 now if a DHCP client happens to get that before the reserved clients renegotiate the connection there is a possibility of a IP address conflict.  (Very rare in this regards but it has the potential to cause confusion on the network).

So I recommend reserving IP addresses outside your DHCP pool.  So I would move 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4 to something like 192.168.1.203 and 192.168.1.204 as an example.

See if this helps resolved the issue you are experiencing.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

Thanks Michael. Could I keep .0 through .10 for reservations and use .11 as the starting DHCP address? What's best practice?

In the mean time I removed the WRP500 from my network and configured my TWC Arris TG1672G all-in-one to handle my DHCP reservations, port forwarding, WiFi, and SIP.

Hello James Grafe,

Well to start .0 and .255 are unassignable IP addresses so lets start with .1.  If .1 is being used by the router then you can use .2 - .12 as your excluded range and start with .13 for your DHCP pool.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.