cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRV200 failure?

richardhersey
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WRV200 that does not seem to be sending the internet connection through to the desktop computer.  I've confirmed that the modem works by directly connecting the modem (bypassing the router).  I've also been able to log into the router to confirm that the desktop computer can connect to the router.  The modem lights also seem to indicate that the modem and router are communicating fine (ethernet light comes on when router connected.

I've rebooted more than a dozen times (router, modem, & desktop computer).  I've replaced modem as well, assuming that was the problem - which it was apparently not.

What's my next step in the journey of discovery?

I'm direct through the modem right now - so the WRV200 is not active and I cannot check it live while online.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rick, the issue may be an IP conflict. If your modem is 192.168.1.1 IP and the WRV200 is 192.168.1.1, you will need to change the WRV200 to 192.168.2.1 for the LAN.

Your WAN subnet cannot match your LAN subnet.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rick, can you verify a few things;

1.) When directly connected to the modem, what IP address does your computer receive?

2.) On the router set up, there is an option MAC address clone, make sure this is enabled, then choose the option "Clone my MAC address"

3.) Reboot the router and modem in sync (power both down,  power both on together)

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thomas - I believe that the IP address is identical to the one the router uses...192.168.1.1

I have to drop the connection to check the router MAC address clone.  I've been successfully using this router for at least a year, and it just recently suffered this failure.

I'll wait for your reply before dropping the connection.

Rick, the issue may be an IP conflict. If your modem is 192.168.1.1 IP and the WRV200 is 192.168.1.1, you will need to change the WRV200 to 192.168.2.1 for the LAN.

Your WAN subnet cannot match your LAN subnet.

Thomas - so all I need to do is change the WRV200 to 192.168.2.1 on the LAN subnet?  Then I'll reconnect and see if the connection flows.  I'll also check the MAC address clone option as well.  Thanks.

Rick, this is correct.

If your modem is issuing a 192.168.1.x IP and your modem is 192.168.1.1 it means it has a route function providing a NAT. The WRV200 has 2 distinctive ports, the internet port and the ethernet ports. In the end it means if your WRV200 LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x, the traffic out the WAN can't route because it already hit the destination network (itself).

So the first step would be to change the WRV200 to 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.x subnet), request will then NAT to 192.168.1.1 then your modem will turn the 192.168.1.x subnet in to your public WAN for internet.

Thomas - the change in address seems to have done the trick.

The MAC Clone is disabled, why should I change it now?  The write-up on the menu suggests it has something to do with my ISP registration requirements.

richardhersey
Level 1
Level 1

David - I've been using the router for at least a year.  I'm hoping that the factory reset won't be needed, but I know its there as a last resort.

Rick,

Any new devices on the network? Like an access point, router, switch?

Do you have a web ui for the modem? Whats the make/model of the modem? Perhaps its trying to act as a modem/router?

You can always back up the config of the wrv2000 and try the factory default, and restore from the backup.

Best,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: