Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N and VDSL/FTTC

danmurfitt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have recently upgraded our ADSL to FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) VDSL. As part of the upgrade, an engineer had to make some changes to our master socket and install what appears to be a modem. Now, instead of having a modem/router we have a router which plugs into the suspected modem via an ethernet cable.

From what I can tell, the router we have been provided with has nothing specific about FTTC/VDSL so I'm wondering if I can replace it with a WRVS4400N? The current authentication method which our router uses is PPPoE, and I noticed the WRVS4400N supports this too, so I guess it will work without any problems.

Any advice here appreciated

Many thanks

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

If I understand the configuration correct. Your modem will do the modulation from Ethernet to FTTC/VDSL or cable if that is the ISP’s medium. PPPoE is supported on the WRVS4400N, and if the connection to your current router is Ethernet, then there should be no reason the WRVS4400N or any other router that supports PPPoE wouldn’t work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

If I understand the configuration correct. Your modem will do the modulation from Ethernet to FTTC/VDSL or cable if that is the ISP’s medium. PPPoE is supported on the WRVS4400N, and if the connection to your current router is Ethernet, then there should be no reason the WRVS4400N or any other router that supports PPPoE wouldn’t work.

This is what I suspected. Just FYI - the Active NTE (half way down the page) is the modem I mentioned previously:

http://www.trefor.net/2010/03/18/fttc-what-exactly-is-it/

Many thanks

Dan

Quick update: we bought this router a couple of weeks ago and it's working perfectly with our VDSL/FTTC connection.

Many thanks for your help

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: