Incoming Log               Disabled

Loccal Log                  Disabled

E-Mail Alerts               Enabled

DoS thresholds           20

Log Queue Lentgh       100

Log Time Threshold     1440

Syslog Server              Disabled

Output Blocking Event Log     Disabled

If more information is needed I can always upload my backup configuration.

I was doing alot of reading on the forums and came across some articles about how having IPS turned on will degrade the network performance, so I wanted to test this on my network, I've found that if I keep IPS on, everything seems to work just fine.

However if I disable IPS within 2-3 days the router will stop functioning.

My internet connection becomes sporadic at first then stops functioning completely a couple hours after the initial outage.

When this occurs I can't even reach the administrative webpage on the device, I have to power cycle it to restore connectivity, if I leave IPS off, repeat scenario, after 2-3 days it'll lock up again.

If I turn the IPS back on, everything functions fine for days... weeks... months...

Is anyone else seeing this?

other than the obvious leave IPS on, any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure there is a problem here, I just dont know if i'm the only one experiencing this, or if this is a known bug of some kind.

37 Replies 37

Hi Kevin,

You can also contact 1-866-606-1866 and we have 2 French speaking techs here, and we can also contact an interpreter service as well.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

is there already a estimated date for a public release of this firmware? (since i wont open a call to get it in advance and see the public release just a few days later)

will it include updated IPS signatures?

and finally: is there a chance that the 5ghz wlan band (which is supported by the hardware) will be supported by the firmware?

that would be great, since most consumers had more or less problems with that device and most dont even know that this would be possible, so cisco could surprise some of us

regards

Dominik

sfluker4511
Level 1
Level 1

Finally a new Firmware is released!!  January 5th 2011  v 2.0.1.3

I'll be testing this shortly

This new Firmware doesn't appear to be the answer, I was up and running for just over 80 days on 2.0.0.8 with IPS turned on. I upgraded to the 2.0.1.3 yesterday around 4:00PM and today I am not able to access the routers web interface, nor is the DHCP server responding to requests.

The internet connection appears to be active still, but if history prevails, that will start being an intermittent connection problem until it just stops working completely.

I am able to ping the router internally, unfortunately cisco has SSH turned off so I can't even begin to try to diagnose the problem with this device.

According to the release notes you are correct.

You will no longer be able to access the web GUI interface via the default http://192.168.1.1/

You can however access it via EXAMPLE: http://192.168.1.100/

However, that's assuming the starting IP address range given to computers on your LAN via DHCP server is .100

~Chris~

sfluker4511
Level 1
Level 1

Internet access died approx 21 hours after disabling IPS

Looks like you were having better luck with the BETA firmware?

I wonder why they failed to incorporate the changes in the BETA firmware into the latest firmware release.

sfluker4511
Level 1
Level 1

Odd, thought I posted this already but on 06/17/2011 i updated the firmware on WRVS4400Nv2 to version 2.0.2.1

Rebooted the router

Disabled IPS

The following morning my internet connection was randomly dying, followed by the network going unresponsive approx 20 - 21 hours after the upgrade and disabling IPS.

Since then, I have to reboot the router to get connectivity back to the network & console of the device, I re-enabled IPS and balance was restored as I have not lost network connectivity, nor have I lost console access to the router since.

However, I did have to reboot the router 3 days ago as for some reason port forwarding seemed to stop working, needless to say this will be something I'll be watching much closer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: