cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N - Unreliable Wireless

okiepilgrim
Level 1
Level 1

I have had my WRVS4400N router for almost 2 years now and recently the wireless connection has become very unreliable.  I have to reboot every 24 - 72 hours when the wireless network SSID disappears or becomes unresponsive (i.e. appears, but nothing can connect).

I have upgraded to the latest firmware (1.1.13), without any improvement.  The only factor I can correlate to the unreliability is that a new MacBook Pro has been connecting for the past couple of months (roughly how long this has been going on).  However, there is no information at all in the local logs, so I have no way of verifying this hypothesis (nor should this be the case as everything has up to date software/firmware).

I have also tried using a different wireless channel with no change.

I was using a static DHCP address for 1 computer (based on MAC), and have since discontinued using this feature.  It seemed to help slightly in that it now goes 2 days instead of 1, but I think this is probably more coincidence than anything else.

Computers not on wireless are still able to connect to each other and the internet fine.  However it does seem that if I do not reset the wireless (i.e. router) in a timely manner, then eventually the entire router does lock up and requres a "hard" boot (power cycle).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as this is an increasingly frustrating situation!

2 Replies 2

lifennel
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

You can try redownloading firmware 1.1.13, reloading onto the router, and resetting to factory defaults before reconfiguring your WRVS4400N manually, to see if this has any positive effect.

The description of your specific problem is not uncommon. I would gather your Cisco.com user ID, the serial number of the router, and give us a call at 1-866-606-1866 to open up a case and go through various troubleshooting steps after you give that first recommendation a try. We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week. We can verify your entitlement on that serial number and proceed from there.

Thanks,

-Lindsey

Thanks Lindsey.  I'll give that a try when I have a chance and try support if it's still unsuccessful.  I ended up pluggin in an old Linksys WRT54G as an access point in the interim.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: